Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
janepa_gw

Do you recognize this flower?

janepa
13 years ago

I was visiting a friend this evening and I found a flower in her garden I never saw before. The erect leaves stand about 20" tall with a shape of an iris leaf, but these leaves did not seem as dense as the iris leaf. They felt more 'papery', but it has been so dry here that they might need water. The flowers are in clusters with approx. three clusters to a stem which reach 36" tall. The flowers are tube shaped and are in a line up the stem starting about 24"-30" from the base (similar to the form of a bleeding heart). They are a bright red orange, and about an 1" long. They really look like they would be a hummingbird magnet, and they were very pretty swaying in the breeze. My friend said they came from bulbs, but I am not positive she knows the difference from a bulb, rhizome, etc.

There were at least 10 hummingbirds flying around, but it looked like they were mainly drinking from her feeders.

I did a lot of searching, but found nothing that looked like this plant. If need be, I can take a photo tomorrow.

Thank you. Jane

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Frasure Home Improvements
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Franklin County's Highly Skilled General Contractor
More Discussions