Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dmrobbin

strange picture

dmrobbin
14 years ago

folks,

this afternoon a hummingbird flew into the sliding glass doors going onto my deck. he broke his neck and died. I walked out to pick him up and toss him in the woods and was looking at him and saw a strange sight. he has a small patch on his throat that glows like a freakin LED really strange looking. anybody ever seen anything like this? I left the pic kinda big so you can see what I'm talking about

http://drobbins.net/hummer.jpg

Dave

Comments (9)

• ctnchpr
    14 years ago

Dave,

Sorry about your little dead hummer. It was a juvenile male Ruby-throated. The red "LED" was his first gorget feather.

• rob_a
    14 years ago

Did you say the bird was dead? He looks alive in you hand to me. Were you holding his feet and tail?

• monica33flowers
    14 years ago

The bird looks alive to me as well. I would expect his head to be drooping to one side if he broke his neck.

Did you check and see if he is still in his resting spot? Maybe he was just stunned?

• dmrobbin
    Original Author
    14 years ago

sorry folks, sadly, he was dead
    there were ants crawling all over him
    gorget feathers huh?
    ok so I guess he was going to be a ruby throat?
    I have learned something today

Dave

• hummersteve
    14 years ago

Ditto-- what the others have said it was a new this years young male rubythroat.

• mimidi
    14 years ago

Dave and now you have learned something. Keep an eye out at the hummingbirds that visit your feeders. The young males are not hatched with the red throat. It comes one feather at a time. Amazing isn't it!!!

I am sorry about the death of this young male hummingbird.

• rob_a
    14 years ago

Dave, there have been five accidents here on my sliding glass door and windows this year. The distinctive sound of 'Bump!' is a sound I don't want to hear. So far no hummers injured or dead on my balcony floor.

Two weeks ago, I had one of those ten minute 'pop corn' thunderstorms that spoted my normally perfectly clean windows and sliding door. I've left the water spots there, hoping the hummers see it and no more 'Bumps' I won't clean the glass again until after fall migration.

• penny1947
    14 years ago

Get window clings to put on those sliding/patio doors. It will help to alert birds that they can't fly through the glass. They are easy to remove if you need to. I have snowflake window clings on my french doors going out to my deck area to keep the birds from flying into the glass.

Penny

• lazypup
    14 years ago

That may not be an immature Ruby Throat Hummingbird.

The adult Ruby throat Hummingbirds have the bright red patch on their throat and in direct sunlight it will radiate like a bright sparkling ruby.

Although they are considered rare, there is another variety of Hummingbirds called "Rufous Hummingbirds" which only have a few of the iridescent feathers similar to what is on the bird in question, that create a speckled effect on the throat.

Here in Ohio the Rudy Throats are quite common but in recent years we are occasionally seeing the Roufus Hummingbirds as well.

Sponsored
More Discussions