Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tnbrdnrd

Video

ctnchpr
14 years ago

This is for all you good folks who don't have many hummers, but hope to someday. It takes a while to build a resident population, I've been working on mine for over 15 years, so be patient. There's a formula for calculating the size of your group: multiply the birds you see by 4 for a minimum, and by 5 for a maximum. I think all of mine show up just before dark, it's a jaw-dropping traffic jam! In about 5 or 6 weeks, members of the Northern Tribes drop in for refueling, and the population doubles. It's somthin' to see!! They hang around for a week to 10 days, then leave and take most of mine with them.

Here is a link that might be useful: Turn your speakers on!!

Comments (4)

• hummersteve
    14 years ago

ctnchpr--- Hey buddy you got em, must be nice to live in the woods. Three weeks from now you may have triple what you have now. Do you find that you seem to accumulate more each year?

• bouquet_kansas
    14 years ago

ctnchpr......WoW! that is so cool! i am still waiting hopefully to have a few this summer,,,,,keeping my feeders clean.

carol

• eigdeh
    14 years ago

Good for you! Must be nice.

I really love those videos where you seem to have a camera mounted on the feeder. Really cool!

Ken

• ctnchpr
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks, y'all!!

hummersteve, As you well know, it's impossible to count them when you have a large group. I separate the hummer sugar from my household sugar so I can keep track of it, and the usage does go up each year. I suppose that means the population increases annually, too.

Sponsored
Brenda M. Miller Designer of Interior Spaces
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars73 Reviews
Client-Oriented Interior Design in Loudoun County | Best of Houzz X6
More Discussions