Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nanaboone

Hallelujah

nanaboo
13 years ago

Wow, had a great hummer day today! Please don't laugh, those of you lucky ones who have been posting great hummer sightings. I have been waiting very patiently for more hummer activity, since I had only one hummer feeding for a few sips early morning and late evening. Today, I had a male and female feeding off and on most of the day,going from one feeder to another hanging in small trees. One hummer even tried a bloom, and with binoculars I watched him perched on a limb and peck on some leaves (maybe feeding on insects?) No activity at the window jewel box, which I purchased this year - very disappointed. I hope they hang around, and I will be up early in the morning to watch.

Comments (4)

• misss
    13 years ago

Congradulations! I am happy that you are having success with the birds. The male will most likely move on in a week or two. The female resides there and most likely you will be seeing her offspring shortly. Hopefully, you will also have many more during the fall migration. If you had one female this year most likely you will have more than one next year.

Enjoy!

• nanaboo
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you,misss for your information. I moved to another location, same city, so I can't compare my hummer activity with last year. I had many more hummers last year, and enjoyed watching the hummers up close at two window feeders. Maybe some will venture to the window feeder this year.

I noticed an interesting article in our local Baton Rouge newspaper today, which follows.

"I have noticed fewer hummingbirds this year than in previous years. What effect did the BP oil spill have on their migration?"

Answer: "Hummingbird numbers may undergo local fluctuations, but there is no evience of an overall decline," said Steven W. Cardiff, bird collections manager at LSU's Museum of Natural Science. "It's unlikely that the oil disaster would have impacted hummingbirds because they generally avoid marshlands during migration, and they do not nest closer to the coast," said Cardiff, who's doing a survey of birds on the coast. The ruby-throated hummingbird is the most common visitor to Baton Rouge feeders and gardens in the summer. "Hummingbirds are hard to predict, some may be nesting in the yard; others are migrants. Their numbers may seem diluted simly because there are now so many feeders and gardens that attract hummingbirds, or because nearby hummingbird nesting habitat (forest) has been lost." Numbers increase from mid-summer through early September as migrants pass through Baton Rouge on their way to Central America.

(Kinda lengthy, but I wanted to share this information from an expert)

• nanaboo
    Original Author
    13 years ago

My grandchildren are visiting, and they are enjoying the hummers feeding. We are watching thru binoculars to get really close up details. My daughter taking pictures. I think we only females right now,but the grandchildren are learning about hummers.Fun, fun!

• mlkbskt
    13 years ago

What is a window jewel box? Thanks.

I hung a Wild Birds Unlimited hummer feeder on my patio door window this year, and they have not found it. I am stubborn and will not move it. Hope they find it before they leave this fall! :) Anyone have a tip on how to get them to find a window feeder?

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH
More Discussions