Return to the Hummingbird Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Do Hummingbirds like bougainvillea?

Posted by Eric580 5b (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 29, 12 at 23:43

Hi:) I have read on some websites that bougainvillea doen't produce nectar and makes hummingbirds waste energy. I also read that it is a nectar producing vine that hummingbirds love. Whis is true? Please help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Do Hummingbirds like bougainvillea?

I read the same thing. It would not deter me from having bougainvillea. More food for thought..

"Placing hummingbird-friendly plants in the garden is important as a source of food, but the birds do not live on flowers alone.

"Hummingbirds like nectar and insects," said Jill Himonas, owner of the Wild Bird Center in Monterey, California. "They dine at the flowers and get the little insects inside the flowers as they go."

Here's a short list of some hummingbird-friendly plants and the approximate seasons in which they bloom. A longer list can be found at www.laspilitas.com/garden/hummingbird.html.:

July-September: Penstemon, monkeyflower, salvia, cosmos, foxglove, hibiscus, butterfly bush, bougainvillea"

A link that might be useful:

voices.yahoo.com/how-attract-hummingbirds-garden-year-round-4205983.html

o

Hi,I know that they are attracted to them, for a few early mornings this last fall, I saw one at my bright pink bougainvillea on the edge of the yard, but it was so far away, I wasn't sure that it actually WAS a hummingbird-until I walked out my front door and almost smack dab into a hummingbird busy at work on my purple and white petunias in a hanging basket. Bougainvillea also attracts butterflies, and is a very nice habitat for small nesting birds. I found an old nest that fit in the palm of my hand while pruning it back after purchasing the property. If I were a small bird, I'd rest and nest there, the thorns are wicked, but easily navigated if you're little. I saw a red tailed hawk land in mine, and frantically fly away. Good little bird sanctuary. :)

o

As an aside, four o'clocks are hummingbird food, but I never see them listed. I grew up having hummingbirds buzzing around our four o'clocks in central Florida. A lot of people don't like them because they are prolific seeders and not fussy about where they live, but as a beginning gardener, I like that! And they smell nice, too. :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hummingbird Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here