Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
guitar_man_dan

Other Hummingbird chat forums?

guitar_man_dan
17 years ago

Well, I appear to be blessed in getting back on line finally. I wonder if you hummerlovers can turn me on to any more Ruby throat discussion group sites. I really am a fanatic and seem to have not less than 50 or 60 birds that come every year and peek in our windows in mid April, begging "Put the thing up, man! We're tired and starving!

Blessed, by all of creation, Dan

Comments (6)

• guitar_man_dan
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thank you so very much Mr. Collins!See y'all over there!
    Blessed, with new friends, Dan

• hummersteve
    17 years ago

hey Dan -- we dont get the varieties up here , mainly ruby-throats. But I have been blessed this year as Ive had to put a second feeder on my window , Ive had so many. Ive lived here 3 yrs but this year has been the bonanza. As I sat at my pc early one morning I noticed at 6:30am the first arrived and the last one at 9:02pm. I also have tomato plants right outside my window they are so big the hummers like to land on them , before it was the fence around the plants. steve

• guitar_man_dan
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Steve, I have recently that I made a note about 2 weeks ago (dated july 24) that the first female on the 2 fedders on my 9X9 backporch was arriving about 6:01 and the first rush about 6:05 AM, This morning, the first arrived at 6:23 and the first rush at 6:28. We hae only ruythroats I think, but some guy was trying to tell me at the VAMC that there were "rufus" hummingbirds breeding in N LA. think he was showing off his "latin" knowledge for red or ruby but I don't know. I have always read in books that the rubythroat is the only nester east of the rockies, but I still don't know. I saw a female at night in a restaurant courtyard in LITTLE ROCK that looked turquiose (sp?) but it could have been an artificial light effect optical illusion. Great to meet you, Steve, Do you visit the above mentioned sight? I have been visiting over there and it seems to have a bit more activity, more people involved and more images to share. I still come here but it's difficult to keep up over there alone, especially with a brain that occaisionally shorts out. I do have some of my pictures over there and there are bunches of great images.
    Blessed, Dan

• wild-wild-wes
    9 years ago

Hello l am new here with hopes of getting some help, I have been enjoying and feeding hummers for many years and have never seen this before, I have at least two acorn woodpeckers drinking out of the feeders and not just a sip they stay for five minutes or more. I have no perches on the feeders they hang on the flowers then they beat up the bee guards. Has anyone had this problem and what did you do to get rid of them besides shooting them.

• mehitabel
    9 years ago

I would put out another source of water for the woodpeckers. Same as when you grow tomatoes-- if you don't put out water for the birds, they'll get it by pecking at your tomatoes.

Sponsored
More Discussions