Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
trant_gw

hummingbird chasing chickadees around?

trant
18 years ago

I've been lucky this year: I have at least 3 ruby throated hummingbirds who visit my backyard frequently at all times during the day and I've been having so much fun watching them. I'm surprised how bold they are, and inquisitive. I sit on these stone stairs about 10ft from a honeysuckle which they adore and they often fly right up to me and give me a good looking over as they hover there. They love to chase eachother away from their favorite food sources- often giving these cute little chirping noises. But what's most surprising is they like to chase away chickadees! I have a regular bird feeder also in my backyard which the chickadees like to visit and oftentimes a hummingbird will go out of it's way to chase a chickadee throughout the backyard. Any idea why such a behavior? Is it playfull or territorial or what? The chickadees eats seeds, so it can't be over food. Also there would be several sparrows in the same area and the hummingbird never seems to attempt to chase them away, though I could be wrong. I think my father said he saw them chasing the sparrows too!

What fascinated birds!

Comments (7)

Sponsored
ANF Kitchen & Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Fairfax County's Quality Driven Kitchen & Bath Remodeling Firm
More Discussions