Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kimcoco

Attracting hummingbirds

kimcoco
15 years ago

I'm in Wisconsin, zone 5.

I'd like to attract hummingbirds to my yard, have a lot of hummingbird friendly plants (first year), and have done some research on methods to attract, how to feed, etc. Weigela, Azalea, Rhody, Nepeta, Salvia, Honeysuckle, etc. are some plants. I'm also eco friendly - only organic or home-made non toxic remedies in my yard.

I'm curious how early in the season I should put my hummingbird feeder out next year, and when should I take it down?

Advice for a newbie?

Comments (12)

• debgrow
    15 years ago

Hi Kimcoco! Welcome to hummingbirds! I'm in your zone (Chicago area). Hummingbirds begin to pass through this area on their spring migration around mid April (think tax day), so that's usually when I put my feeders out. I have them visiting all summer, though, so I'm sure there are some that live/nest here. I wouldn't wait until next season, though. You could try putting the feeder out now. If you have plants that attract them, you may have some in your yard already, but just haven't seen them yet. Go for it - you might be surprised!

The ones that are native to Illinois are Ruby Throats. They are wonderful little creatures - I love having them in my yard. I take the feeders down about two weeks after the last one I see, which can vary, but last year I had them through about the middle of October. Hope that helps!

• kimcoco
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I can still put it out? That's exactly what I wanted to hear!!! LOL I had it out earlier this year (June) but then I thought I missed the migration so I took it down.

Do the feeders need to be out in the open - I have this area under my garage overhang where it will stay shaded, but still visible. Otherwise, I have a Shepherd's hook I can use for it.

• debgrow
    15 years ago

Yes! Put it out now! I put my first one up in September and I got some coming to feed there even though there were only a few weeks left in the season and even though there had never been one there before.

Actually, it's better, I think, if it's NOT out in the open. I have a couple of them in my yard, one thats hanging from a branch near some evergreen trees on the edge of my yard, and others that are in more open areas. They seem to like the one in the tree better, probably because it gives them a little more protection from predators, and they can kind of hang out in the trees between feedings. They don't spend as much time on the feeders where they are more exposed.

You are just going to love what you see! I'm excited for you! Be patient, though, it might not happen right away. Keep the faith, and keep us posted when you see something!

• joepyeweed
    15 years ago

They are starting to migrate now, so you should have a good chance of getting some. They really flock to the feeders this time of year, as they need to put on some calories for the migration.

I'll notice a difference between the local birds and the migrating birds and which feeders they prefer. The local birds do prefer a more sheltered feeder. The migrating birds tend to hit the feeders out in the open more.

A good location is one that is not too far from some trees, they like to perch on a tree and fly back and forth to the feeders.

• lynxville
    15 years ago

May I suggest you put one by a window so you can enjoy them up close. They stay and breed all summer in Wisconsin. The migration can bring large numbers to your feeders, and you will never get tired of watching them.

• hummersteve
    15 years ago

By all means put out a feeder now. The spring migration happens in april/may in which they go north for breeding purposes and the southern migration in which they are on their way back south is going on right now. The present time is a time in which you could have a good number of hummers especially if you have the hummer attracting plants and they will use them all and feeders if its available to them. Last year I even had hummer vistors in early oct. Good luck.

• kimcoco
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Ideally, I'd like to view them closer to the house. The back of the house faces west.

The only area for placement to avoid direct sun is under the garage overhang (a view from across the small yard)...

Another option is outside a full glass storm door underneath the airing porch. There is a lilac shrub planted next to the door/porch - the feeder will still get hit with some sun in the afternoon, maybe dappled shade around the shrub, but with this being a high traffic area...will that deter them?

Other birds have been nesting under the airing porch this year. The first tenants were morning doves - very docile - the baby either fell out, they didn't like the traffic, or ??? ...I found him hiding under the shelter of my hostas for a few days with the mother closeby, and then moved to a new nest under my neighbor's overhang.

Then the sparrows or wrens (?) moved in for awhile until their offspring matured. A Robin built a nest in the lilac shrub, but wasn't successful in attracting a mate.

Next year I'll probably deter the nesting in this area simply because it's too messy - and the wrens squawked at us whenever we tried to enjoy our newly installed patio..LOL.

I've had a wren house under my garage overhang for three years now, and nothing. I added nesting material in early spring, got all excited when I saw birds peeking in there, only to find that they were removing the nesting material and taking it over to a neighboring birdhouse! LOL

Otherwise, I have a yellow canary that visits my fountain every morning...and he did a number on my coco liner in my hanging baskets this year. I'm assuming it's a canary...smaller, yellow with black markings, and the occasional visit from cardinals nesting in our neighborhood.

I would imagine that any of these "tenants" would deter the hummingbirds anyway. Who essentially are their predators?

• nicole__
    15 years ago

Hummingbird predators you asked? Cats, Praying mantis, spiders....see link.
    http://www.hummingbirdsociety.org/eletters/Hummingbirds.On-Line.Issue.7.htm

• kimcoco
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I was just in my neighbors yard yesterday standing around talking when my husband looked over at her Salvia and guess what, A HUMMINGBIRD!

Ugh. I just took my feeder in a few days before and hadn't put it back out just yet. But, I was so excited. I've never seen a hummingbird in Wisconsin before.

So I made my homemade concoction and put it out again yesterday. Maybe they've already been here but I just haven't seen them.

• dvalliere2_verizon_net
    12 years ago

we had hummies for a while,haven't seen many lately, they might be nesting and come out at night;but it might be early

• PaulDavid63
    12 years ago

Check out Lanney's migration map at Hummingbirds.net to see when the birds arrive in your area. Your feeders should be out a week earlier. Never seen hummers flying at night (dark). They go to roost just before dark.

• scheffersjf
    8 years ago

We live in South Holland, Illinois, a suburb of Chicago. We have a feeder right outside our family room windows. It is busy all summer. Sometimes they hover between the feeder and the window, and appeared to be watching us! The last week of August it was particularly busy. That must have been the first migration coming through our area. I understand the males leave first, followed by females and then the juveniles. The juveniles leave last, and are supposed to be largest migration. So keep the feeders full, and have fun watching! We have another four weeks to enjoy them anyway.