Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mark4321_gw

Does anyone grow Monardella macrantha "Hummingbird Coyote Mint"?

mark4321_gw
11 years ago

I picked up a Monardella macrantha at Annie's Annuals, as a gift for my mom. I had never seen the plant before and was surprised to find out it is a California native. There is not too much info about the plant online, but what I have found suggests it's popular with the hummingbirds.

I'm wondering if anyone has any experience growing the plant. I'm also curious about propagation. It sounds like propagation by cuttings should be straightforward. I tried a couple tiny ones but they failed. I plan to try again at some point, but I'm also curious if anyone has had any experience with the seeds--collecting, germinating? I have not been able to find information online.

The plant has not yet appeared on Annie's site. There are native plant nurseries in CA that carry it. High Country Gardens and Sweet Nectar Nursery also sell it for a good price (less than the $9.95 I paid at Annie's).

I love the common name "Hummingbird Coyote Mint". It sounds like the name for a cartoon.

Comments (11)

• hummersteve
    11 years ago

I can see how this could attract hummers but yes there is not much info about it other than the fact it gets only 6"-12" and appears to be more of a ground cover or trailing breed. It is also mentioned that it is short lived. If I lived in CA I might be temepted to pick it up but since I dont I will pass on this one.

• mark4321_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

The main "problem" with Monardella macrantha is that it can likely grow in a limited set of climates/locations. There is a report online of it growing at the Denver Botanic Gardens. I am not aware of it being successful farther East. Many native California plants are difficult or impossible East of the Rockies.

I hope that being a short-lived perennial doesn't stand in the way of anyone growing an interesting plant. This is particularly true in a case like this where the plant can apparently be propagated easily by cuttings. The reports are that it roots easily enough that it roots where it touches the ground. Typically, if a plant has a limited lifespan, propagating it by cuttings starts the clock over again.

Given the structure of the flowers I assume hummingbirds are the natural pollinators. Presumably that's the reason for the common name as well.

• mark4321_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Actually, I did just find reports on another forum of people in the upper Midwest growing/blooming the plant, at least during the warmer part of the year.

Here is a link that might be useful: Reports of growing Monardella macrantha on another forum

• ditas
    11 years ago

WOW Mark ~ so pretty even w/ the reference to a cartoon character ~ ha ha ha!

Blooms' shape & color ~ I bet would lure the tinee guys!!!

• mark4321_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

My mom says she hasn't seen any hummingbirds visit it yet. She is typically sitting a foot away from it, so she probably scares away any potential visitors.

Some of the oldest flowers have dried up. I started looking for seeds and haven't found any yet. I'm not exactly sure what I'm looking for (in terms of size, for example). One description of Monardellas suggested that each flower could make up to 4 seeds. That's about all I know.

Annie's Annuals finally posted a description of the plant. It looks like they dropped the price from when I bought it at the retail nursery (and typically the prices there are below online).

I've only moved recently (Jan. 1st) to my current location. I have no feeder, and I've only seen a handful of hummingbirds--they liked Salvia wagneriana and scarlett runner beans. Just 5 minutes ago I saw one going nuts over Cupheas: Cuphea cyanea 'Triple Crown', Cuphea 'Strybing Sunset', but mostly Cuphea ignea white.

Here is a link that might be useful: Monardella macrantha at Annie's Annuals

• ditas
    11 years ago

Hi Mark ~ wonder if you & your Mom might like to take a peek at my RTHB album. Hummers are not as plentiful as in other places but the population here are growing in number! A few neighbors have joined me in luring more of them to migrate here as their Summer resort place.

Here is a link that might be useful: Humming Birds Under Iowa Skies

• mark4321_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

ditas--cute photos. We don't have RTHB's out here, and when I saw your first couple photos I wondered for a second whether they were *that* red. The males of species that live out here do have red throats, of course.

• mark4321_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I was able to visit the Monardella plant today, and harvested a few seeds. The seedheads seem to have a tendency to break off the plant, and the flowers were dry or nearly dry. However, only some of the seeds were dark in color. I don't know if any of these seeds are viable, but I am suspicous that the light colored ones are not.

I split them up into 3 groups in case anyone wants to try some as well. I have had little luck finding out when and how to plant them, whether they need to be stratified, and whether they require light to germinate. I'll keep a third and of those try stratifying half and planting half directly.

Given the fact that the seeds are ripening a little before our rainy season, I would suspect that they germinate in the Fall/Winter and grow over the rainy months. Apparently plants can overwinter in areas with considerable cold. I don't know how this might apply to seedlings--or whether they don't germinate until it warms.

So I'll send the other two sets of seeds for postage to a couple of people who are interested in trying them. I can include some other seeds: Asarina erubescens, Eccremocarpus scaber 'Cherry Red'and Petunia exserta. If anyone wants any, fruits of Arbutus unedo keep dropping into my yard. The humminbirds are gorging themselves on Arbutus nectar.

I also just harvested some Cuphea seeds, and I can enclose seeds of Cuphea 'Triple Crown' (as far as anyone can tell this is just a selection of Cuphea cyanea) and Cuphea ignea white. Both are hummingbird favorites as well, and I can send a few of each of those.

If someone doesn't want the Monardella seeds, but wants one or more of the others please let me know.

• fouldsy87
    8 years ago

Hi, interesting plant indeed. If anyone has seeds available, I would love to try growing it. (Monardella macrantha)

• mehitabel zone 6
    8 years ago

Mark, flowers on that plant look like a hummingbird winner, for sure. About propagating-- have you tried layering? With a creeper, I have found that laying out one of the longer strands and putting a stone, piece of brick, pot riser (anything a little heavy to keep it touching the ground and keep it moist) on one of the *joints* usually will get roots. Hope you'll let us know how your propagating experiments work out.

• mark4321_gw
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I found this pretty easy from cuttings--they root no problem whatsoever. I gave seeds to someone else a couple years ago and was told it was pretty easy from seed (I never tried myself). And just recently, I just yanked off a piece, with roots. So propagation really isn't an issue at this point.

Sponsored
More Discussions