Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
susanlynne48

Never in Springtime; Always in July

susanlynne48
13 years ago

For the past several years, I have had hummingbirds visit my feeder. However, for the past couple of years, I have been putting out a feeder in early April in anticipation of getting the spring migrating birds. Alas, to no avail. They don't show up until mid to late July.

Can anyone tell me why this happens, and what I can do to attract them in spring. Granted, I don't have much of anything in bloom at that time that attracts them. Someone suggested planting a bignonia vine that blooms around that time because they follow those blooms during the migration. Another suggested hanging lots of red ribbons around the yard and garden. Do you think any of these things will help?

Thanks for your responses.

Susan

Comments (5)

• hummersteve
    13 years ago

Its a predicament for sure if you dont get them on the way north only on the way back it could be location. I dont see them till may 1st or around there and they arent much interested in any blooms I might have at that time. Its not till late june or july that they start using flowers here. One thing they seem to adore here is coral honeysuckle vine and it blooms early. I just have to fight off aphids and spider mites on it , at least the last two years, but you might not have that problem.

• rob_a
    13 years ago

Susan, I also have less activity at the blooms in spring. Mine become more interested in flowers June through the summer. However, I think the color of spring blooms catches their attention bringing them to my feeders close by. It's still a good idea to have blooming plants in your yard in the spring.

• fairfieldcircle
    13 years ago

Susan, Mmmmm...I was looking online for a map of the springtime RTHU flyways map but couldn't locate one showing Oklahoma routes. I am wondering if they even fly thru there early in the season? I find the flyways very interesting and mystifying and I wish someone had some good details to share on them.

Anyway, I have read several times that one should go to Home Depot and buy some of that ultraviolet red colored plastic ribbon and tape that road crews use and hang it out in the yard. Many say that works and I do use it (I have some out right now for the fall migrators) but don't know if I get hummers because of it or just becuz...

Also, in April when ours are expected I hang on a shepherd's hook in an obvious place a basket or two of red flowers in spring time. They say that hummers have excellent eye sight and can see red (especially ultraviolet) from 2 miles away~~but I'm not sure I believe that!?! And I plant red tulips just to catch their eye too, even though that's not a known hummer flower. And hang out the reddest feeders I have.

Best of all for spring I think is a good flowering tree like a red buckeye.

Those are a few ideas for you...it seems like they should be able to find you if they are there. Good luck with your plan for springtime. f.

• rob_a
    13 years ago

Another suggestion would be Honeysuckle. Does it bloom in OK city in the spring? It does here and is a hummer magnet. Even if it doesnt bloom there in spring, it is one of the best hummer plants and is very tolerant of your summer heat.

• susanlynne48
    Original Author
    13 years ago

L. sempervirens should be a spring bloomer here in OKC. I just put in a cultivar, L. sempervirens 'Blanche Sandman' this spring, it is already about 8-10' tall, and I am hoping it will bloom next spring.

Also still considering the Crossvine, which I've been told by hummer folks in Oklahoma, that the spring migrators follow up from Mexico, thru Texas, and into Oklahoma.

Planting some red tulip bulbs sounds like a GREAT idea, Fairfieldcircle! Thanks for the tip.

I am also considering either Weigela, or Flowering Quince, as these are spring blooming shrubs supposed to attract the hummers as well.

By May, I usually have a lot of blooms in the garden, but spring is sparce. A lot of times, folks rely on flowering trees and shrubs, and many natives included amongst them, for both the butterflies and hummingbirds. I am adding new plants every year, so maybe I'll hit on something. I think I'll also try the plastic ribbons as well.

Thanks for all your tips, I really appreciate it.

Susan

Sponsored
More Discussions