Return to the Hummingbird Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
feeding humming birds

Posted by nellie4458 5ILL (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 7, 09 at 7:52

Hi, I heard you can put karo syrup in humming bird feeders! Does anyone know about this? Thanks, nellie4458

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: feeding humming birds

Oh Really!!!! Would you like to kill our sweet little hummers. If you use karo , honey or anything other than white granulated table sugar you will. Here is an article you should read and it explains it better than I can.

Here is a link that might be useful: hummer food

o

Steve is right and I encourage you or anyone else to pass this info on to friends or neighbors who might be feeding hummers for the first time and don't know what is harmful to them. If you were considering using Karo, I'm so glad you asked the forum first!!!!

Donna

o

Hi Nellie. The only safe food for your hummer feeders is simple table sugar and water. One part sugar to four parts water. Proven safe for many years. Nearly everyone here uses that for their feeders. Even some commercial hummer food is not safe because is contains food coloring.

o

No syrup! What's simpler than sugar and water??

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hummingbird Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here