Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
harryshoe

How Late Do They Stay Into Fall?

I was wondering how late into fall will I still get hummingbird visits? I have some plants, including honeysuckle and pineapple sage, which are just beginning to bloom. What is the normal end of the season in Pennsylvania?

Comments (16)

• wardw
    18 years ago

Numbers will begin to thin out by early September, an October Ruby-throat is a very good sighting. In New Jersey the first December record - the Elmer Christmas Count - was something like the early to mid 1990s and there have since been a few more December records. Any hummingbird after September should be examined very carefully if possible, because there is a good chance it isn't a Ruby-throat. Maybe you'll get lucky and get a stray, although it is a lot of work keeping a hummingbird going in freezing weather, and you're doing the work knowing there is almost no chance that the bird will survive.

• catwhiskas
    18 years ago

We had an unusual amount of HB's come thru last week. Now this week I have only seen 1 possibly 2 hanging around. So migration has begun here. I thought I'd have them into Sept. - I guess not. I guess migration time all depends on your area.

• maryjk
    18 years ago

hummingbirds are really thick here at our place in NW MO right now...might be because we are feeding them pretty heavy...they might have already left the area if we had not fed them... given the drought conditions we have experienced of late (it finally rained substancially this weekend and we are very grateful) but it makes you wonder how we humans affect nature...if there is nothing to eat, the creatures go where there is food. They are so amazing that so far it is worth it to us to feed them and see and watch them.

• ron45715
    18 years ago

Harry,
    I'm in Southeast Ohio, and last year was my first feeding hummers. Saw my last one last year on 9/13.

• standard65
    18 years ago

last ruby here last year on october 9th.

• wardw
    18 years ago

My estimates on timing posted above should be considered estimates local to New Jersey and eastern Pennsylvania. Sometimes I think we forget because we all meet in a particular cyber geography that we don't share actual geography. Many newer members are on a sharp learning curve, and for them it is important to know where the post is from. Conditions in New Jersey bare almost no relation to conditions in Idaho for example, the same species aren't even involved. What I'm really saying is to take what I say with a grain of salt. The further away you are the less applicable the information is.

• penny1947
    18 years ago

I am in western NY, 90 miles east of Erie, PA and mine are usually all gone south by early to mid September so I am using every spare moment right now to enjoy them while I still have them. When they leave they really do leave a very empty space in your life once you have been attracted to them.

Penny

• lisa11310
    18 years ago

Here in West Michigan I was swamped with them 2 weeks ago and they have thinned out some but I still have LOTS of them for now!My first year too so we shall se how long they linger.
    Lisa

• Pam_Jean
    18 years ago

I didn't have regular visitors during the summer last year, but I did see a few juveniles in my yard in sept. and one on October 10th. I remeber this visit so vividly. I was so surprised so see this hummer on a hanging basket of red impatiens at my back door.

Pam

• sarahbn
    18 years ago

Pam he might have been a western rufous. Sarah

• koke
    18 years ago

Hi All, my last hummer in 2004 was Sept.26th.I am getting alot of feeding activity.For about 2-3 weeks now they have been really crazy with eating. It is just so hard to count how many I have but I know for sure ,I have 9 maybe more.Those 9 were counted with the help of DH.They move so darn fast,I wish I could get a better count.....

• ginni77
    18 years ago

We have about 8 or more here today. I can definitely account for 8. I'm curious about migration too. Thanks for this thread.

Ginni

• stephenNJ
    18 years ago

My latest Ruby-Throat was Oct 8th in 2003 zone6 NJ. Usually the last days of Sept mark the end of my sightings.

• breenthumb
    18 years ago

Was wondering that too. Cant remember when they left last year but it was the first year they came to my feeder and there were at least 2. This year was hummer heaven. Lots of them and still several, but way less this week. The nights have turned cold and damp and, much as I love to watch them, I'm hoping they leave in time to get where they need to winter. Saw my little juvie male today and I'm getting concerned for his safety.

I'm east of Rochester, between Buffalo and Syracuse. Sandy

• ceresone
    18 years ago

here in south central mo-60 miles from ark line--every year we loose about half the last of august, i've since learned its the older ones, and most of the rest stay on till about oct 4-8.feeding is heavy right now, as they fatten up to migrate, i'm feeding 2 gallon of sugar-water a day. all flowers getting heavy usage too

• harryshoe zone6 eastern Pennsylvania
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Things are definately changing. As soon as my dominate female left this morning, a male visited my feeder. First male I've seen since June. I guess he's part of the migration. My plants are in good shape-lots of blooms on fuschia, agastache, lady in red and black and blue. Hopefully, I'll host a popular lodging site for migrators.