Return to the Hummingbird Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Nectar Question

Posted by TimMan none (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 10, 11 at 7:52

Yesterday, I made up a new batch of nectar for my feeder. When I filled one of my feeders, a hummingbird started feeding from it. Within a few seconds, the hummer fluffed up it's feathers while standing on the perch, titled it's head sideways and partially opened it's beak. It was just frozer for about one minute. Other hummers flew up to it but the fluffed up hummer just stood still in it's position with fluffed feathers and cocked head. It was like it was frozen. After about a minute in this frozen state, the hummer finally flew off. The only thing I could think of to cause this reaction was I made the nectar too strong. Has this happened to anyone else?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Nectar Question

Same bird was at my house! Been feeding hummers for almost 30 years and have never seen anything like that until a few days ago. I thought the bird was sick or something. Was exactly as you have described. Thought he was going to fall off the feeder. My nectar is always 4-1.

o

Did it look like this?

Photobucket

o

Looked just like your picture except it's beak was open about a 1/4".

o

That was defensive posturing, trying to look formidable. It had found a food source, and didn't want to share.

o

Mine was sitting on the feeder and no birds approached. His head was more like hanging to his left and downward as if in a trance. Was a very long time when another bird showed up (30 sec.- a minute)and the weird bird just flew off. He was back in a few minutes, but did not have his head laying back and to the side. The feathers were all puffed up though and he still looked weired. I've seen a million birds on feeders and never seen this. I have seen the defensive posture daily.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hummingbird Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here