Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chescobob

My New Little Buddies (images)

chescobob
16 years ago

About 2 days ago, hummingbirds began showing up regularly at my feeder. Last night, I counted 3 individuals together and they have been visiting the feeder about every 10 or 15 minutes. It seems like they use it as a fast-food store.

My feeder is located about 10 feet below my deck and I can sit and watch them from there. As I was waiting for this hummer to visit the feeder, it decided to try the day lilies to the left of the feeder.

{{gwi:995355}}

{{gwi:995357}}

A bit later, another made a pit stop for some good old sugar water. They are now taking deep drinks.

After the hummers have their fill--for the moment--they usually fly into the woods. I've seen them sit on a tree limb and preen themselves. Sometimes, they take a break about 15 feet from the feeders on an abelia branch. They sit for a moment and then they chow down on the abelia flowers. They also visit the butterfly bushes and geranium on my deck. Here is one trying out the feeder.

{{gwi:995359}}

Yesterday, after a hummer flew up to the deck. I expected it to visit the geranium since they have been there before. However, it decided to check me out and hovered about 2' in front of my face.

I finally heard them speak for the first time. One hummer was at the feeder and another visited. The first hummer began squawking at the other. I also heard a much milder chirp from one later in the day.

Sponsored
More Discussions