Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hummersteve

Latest Activity Here

hummersteve
15 years ago

Havent been here in a while , so thought I would add a little to ya'all. So heres a recent pic and vid. Love that migration time.

{{gwi:995644}}

Here is a link that might be useful: Latest hummers

Comments (5)

• debbie321
    15 years ago

WOW!!! you have LOTS of Hummers!!
    What a GREAT video!!
    ever have trouble with Bees?
    I wish I could figure out what to do about my Moms feeders!
    She loves to watch them

• hummersteve
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi debbie 321--- Thanks, and yes I have a lot of pesky wasps, no bees though. I have three wasp traps setup around my yard and I have caught a lot and cut those numbers down, around a 100 or more. The hummer numbers will soon be going down here and I will only have a handfull by the end of august.

• donnalovesblue
    15 years ago

Loved the video! I, too am proud to boast of many hummers! They are still keeping me very busy....it seems I'm contantly filling those feeders...boy, they can empty a feeder quickly!

I've noticed I have many more females than males and a few immature ones and was wondering if there was a particular reason for this.

Thanks for sharing your wonderful hummer show!!!

Donna

• hummersteve
    Original Author
    15 years ago

donnalovesblue

Thanks for your nice comments, the three large feeders in the vid contain 100oz of nectar between them and at the present time they will not last 3days and sometimes two days. So yes , going thru the sugar, but that should be less and less as this month moves on.

A little history on the hummer cycle. The adult males arrive in the states first in their annual trek to their annual breeding ground from mexico and points south. They find and mark their territory and next the adult females arrive and males procede to mate with as many females as they can. About 6week after that the younguns will be out and about. When the days start becoming shorter it seems to trigger the migration back south and the adult males are the first to leave, followed by the females and then the young ones. So in late july to early august you see an increase in your hummers as during the migration the hummers as they filter thru your area as they also battle for food to sustain them along the way. It is a bitter-sweet time , but a time I always look forward to as their numbers can triple or even more, but I also know it is near the end of the cycle , at least for us who live east of the mississippi. So by november most of the creatures we have enjoyed are back in their wintering grounds in mexico , central america. There may be a few lucky dogs who will have them overwinter in some southern states as lower texas. The people who livein cal. and have hummers year round and pacific northwest will have rufous , which are a hardy breed and can handle colder temps.

• debbie321
    15 years ago

awww you mean mine are about to LEAVE??
    I am in zone 7 in Texas
    I sure will miss them, my BLues better stay!!!

Sponsored
More Discussions