Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
katiekaboom54

I have a question and hopefully someone can help

katiekaboom54
16 years ago

I have recently moved up to Indiana from Florida and naturally my hummingbird feeders came with me. I have had quite a few through the summer. Someone told me recently that in Indiana you are to stop feeding them at a different time than in Florida so that they will migrate. I have done research on the internet and can't find a specific date or time. If someone could let me know I would greatly appreciate it. My email is katiekaboom54@yahoo.com and I will check this blog as well. Thanks again!

Comments (8)

• rita_h
    16 years ago

The hummers migrate on their own when the daylight hours get shorter, so you don't have to worry about confusing them with your feeder. There's always latecomers so keep your feeders up until you're sure there's no laggers that will appreciate the extra food on their way south.

If you have any neighbors with feeders they might be able to tell you about when this might be, or check with the local birding groups.

• tracey_nj6
    16 years ago

I leave mine out until November, just in case any late migrators pass by. I've never seen one past early October. They know when to move on...

• yardenman
    16 years ago

Feed them until they leave. Feeding them won't keep them around when they know it is time to leave and it will assure they have full tummies when they do leave. They decide to migrate based on sun and weather, not food supply.

• lisa11310
    16 years ago

I'm here in West Michigan. I leave my feeders up untill I havent see a hummer for weeks, usually early November. I have had one stay as long as mid October. I just want to be sure all the migrators have had a rest stop to refule.

• luvabird ,,,
    16 years ago

I've heard of some staying through the winter, so there's really no deadline. They may be old or sick and can't make the migration.

So, I've been told by more experienced birders I can leave the feeders up year round if there are any takers. Can you imagine how scarce food is in the winter? Of course they need more than what we provide, but at least they have that.

Donna, VA

• arleneb
    16 years ago

Katie, I'm in Northern Indiana -- I always leave mine up till I see no hummers at all . . . sometime in October. My feeders are busier right now than ever -- I assume juvies and migrators. My little 2-year grandson stood at the window transfixed for two minutes today watching one at the feeder!

• hummersteve
    16 years ago

Katie---Hi , Im just south of Indianapolis and hummers will leave when its time , controlled by urges much stronger than hunger. Sometimes there times when a hummer will stay behind because it is too weak or too old to make the trip and by leaving our feeders out we can help a hummer in this situation maybe to live a little longer than it would otherwise. But by leaving feeders will in no way encourage them to stay longer than they should, if they stay there are other reasons, so by all means leave your feeders up untill you see no hummers for a few weeks, use your own judgement. Last year my hummers were gone before sept but I didnt have the hummer habitat I have now. IM having around 10 hummers each day and I doubt they are all the same as the day before as today I had 4 adult males amoung the group which would be unusual for this time of year for my area. Hummers now are looking for places to fatten up for the trip. I know they will soon leave but it wouldnt hurt to increase the dozage at this time .

• jhbeanblossom_gmail_com
    13 years ago

I have counted 23 hummingbirds at once around my ffders for about 9 years and believe me when it is time to go they know it..

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH
More Discussions