Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hummersteve

Hummer slowdown

hummersteve
14 years ago

Activity has slowed way down here. There is no more emptying two 30oz feeders in two days time and there is no more 5 and 6 birds sitting around a feeder. I believe those days are long gone and done for this season, but I do still have a few hummers daily. Enough to lower the levels of my feeders. Still dog fighting and the like going on here. A few days ago I made the mix stronger in my jewel box feeder in an effort increase the feeding there and make them want to use it more and it has worked. The ratio in that feeder is 1:2 sugar to water. But I have never seen 2 hummers at that feeder, maybe the way it is designed will discourage that. So it appears this season is winding down rather quickly around here, still have hummers just not the constant barage of hummers Ive had in the past. Always hate to see the season get to this point, the numbers dwindling. Seems this is happening earlier than last year, but each year will always be a little different, ya just hate to see em go.

Comments (8)

• hummersteve
    Original Author
    14 years ago

In reference to my jewelbox feeder one thing I forgot to mention before, they are now protecting it, one thing that didnt happen before now. It is also the only feeder at my window and I will leave it that way for the remainder of the season.

• hummersteve
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Another thing I just noticed about the JB feeder is they cant drain this type of feeder. I just saw a hummer try all three ports and then leave rather quickly , so Im thinking it is now so low it is out of reach for them, Im guessing it is about 2/3rds empty. Anyway I shall refill.

• ltcollins1949
    14 years ago

Steve,

I'm from Indiana and always spend the month of June in my RV at my parents' house on Tecumseh Bend, Tippecanoe River. They always keep out 4 or 5 hummer feeders. This summer I saw more than usual. I think there was a nest high in the tree just outside the back door.

At the height of the hummer migration here on the Texas Coastal Bend (generally the last half of September), I keep up about 3 dozen feeders of varying sizes and have to refill them 3 times a day. I will go through 50 to 60 pounds of sugar in one month. They seem to be migrating earlier this year.

I wish you could come visit sometime for the Rockport Hummer/Bird Celebration. If you are here, be sure to drop by and say hi since we are one of the many hummer homes.

• eigdeh
    14 years ago

Was it just this one hummer that tried all three ports and left? Does not make sense that Aspects would make a feeder with a small capacity that would make the last 1/3 impossible to drink.

Perhaps it just decided it did not like that feeder? I have hummers that go to a feeder and try a few ports without drinking, but others do stay there and drink.

• donnalovesblue
    14 years ago

Steve, maybe some of yours have found their way to my place!! Getting home from church, I had 3 feeders totally empty and several others I will have to fill in the next few hours. It's been drizzling rain and as usual in this kind of weather, they are in a frenzy! I'm just 150 miles north of the Gulf, so once they arrive at my feeders, they don't have far to go, however, some will remain on the coast throughout the winter.

I know how you feel when the season begins to wind down. I'm already dreading the last hummer sighting, which is usually about mid Oct., but activity will slow down here in a week or two. These jewels have provided all of us so much pleasure! The only thing that keeps me going for the next few months is FOOTBALL and it all begins for me this Saturday. Gotta make sure all feeders are full before the first kick-off!! LOL, but it's the truth!

Your post reminded me about the increase in sugar. I'm still using the tried and true 4/1, but I've earmarked 2 feeders for a 3/1. It'll be interesting to see whether there's a difference.

Donna

• hummersteve
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Linda

It would be very nice to one day get to see your festival dont know when that might be.

Ken--- Im not sure if they couldnt drink it that low but it sure seemed that way.

Donna-- Im sure you have some of my hummers that have been here. Enjoy and make them fat and sassy.

• hawkeye_wx
    14 years ago

I wonder if hummers have to reach as far to get nectar low in a Hummzinger mini basin. I know at least one forum participant said hummers have no problem with their HZ, but I'm still a bit concerned about this since my nectar level would always be pretty low.

• fritzmom
    14 years ago

Hi All

I live up in Southern Manitoba Canada and this has been a particulary bad year for hummers. It's been incrediably cold and wet. I saw my last male Ruby-Throat (only hummer type we get here) in mid-July...at least 3 weeks earlier than normal. And now I only have 3 female/immature ones at the feeders and plants. This time of the year I should be seeing at least a dozen birds. The latest I have seen a hummer here is Sept 11th, hope these stay at least that long.
    As a sidenote, there were no Monarch Butterflies this year, even with the abdundace of Milkweed plants. And they call this 'Global Warming'??