Return to the Hummingbird Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Coleus and basil, overlooked nectar plants

Posted by purpleinopp 8b AL (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 28, 12 at 10:51

I've been letting these plants flower recently after realizing the butterflies enjoy the blooms so much and have seem hummers visiting both quite often this summer. Although eventually I will have more shrubs and perennials for nectar plants, Coleus and basil are inexpensive as plants or seeds, easy to propagate into many more plants, work well in pots if desired, and don't require the forethought and real estate commitment of perennials and shrubs. One takes care of naked shady spots, the other for sun, handy.

What has been your experience with hummers visiting these blooms? What other common plants do you think are overlooked as nectar sources?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Coleus and basil, overlooked nectar plants

Wow! Never knew coleus and basil attracted hummers:) I thinks some overlooked plants are many native plants and wildflowers.

o

I've never seen hummers at either. I'll have to watch more carefully.

o

I saw a Rubythroat at Coleus flowers at my neighbor's last year. I'm going to go deadhead my Basil now. :-)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hummingbird Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here