Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jessiac_3

Hummingbird-Attracting Vine for Shade?

jessiac_3
17 years ago

Hello Everyone,

I am still relatively new to gardening, and I know this season is almost over, but I already have the wheels turning for next year. I saw a hummingbird at a hosta at my office a few weeks ago, and since I live nearby, I decided to attempt to attract them to my appartment balcony next year. I bought a traditional hummingbird feeder (which I'll be returning in favor of the "HumZinger" since I've heard it's much easier to care for, so I'll probably be more diligent about cleaning/refilling it) and am researching plants that I can put in my windowboxes and hanging baskets next growing season.

Our apartment faces North East, and we are on the second floor, with our neighbor's balcony above us, so we don't get much sun except for in the morning. Here's my question: are there any vine plants that attract hummingbirds that I can put along my wall that will tolerate mostly shade? Sometimes the sun reflects off our neighbor's windows as the sun starts to go down, so it might get some more sun that way later in the day.

Any suggestions are much appreciated!

Jessica

Comments (12)

• hummersteve
    17 years ago

Im not the one for informing you about vines for I only have hostas and portulacas in my yard , which the hummers ignore , but fight like crazy over my feeders. I have several birds still here. The advantage about feeders thou is when they start coming they will eventally perch and feed for a while , getting rest, better viewing. Theres no reason why you wont be able to draw birds to your apt window , just will take a while for them to find it. Ive found hummers seem to like a more shady secluded area anyway but they will feed anywhere. But the trick will be , when the hummers find you is to change it often ,every 3 or 4 days during the heat of summers. If you havent already you should visit a hummer site and they will give all this info. Another tip is you need to have blinds at your window , open them and they will get used to you being there. If you raise the blinds , you will find them quite skittish. When I sit at my pc window , which im only less than 2 ft from , I can see all three of my feeders , my third feeder is about 12 feet from the window feeders

• kristin_williams
    17 years ago

The only thing I can think of is Honeysuckle--Lonicera heckrottii. It can grow to be a 10-20 foot vine, but you could prune it back. It will tolerate some shade, but I don't think it would do well with deep shade. All of the other vining hummingbird favorites that I can think of like lots of sun--Trumpet vine, Cardinal Climbers, Cypress vines, and Morning Glories all come to mind.

• kelp
    17 years ago

I have 2 honeysuckles: Lonicera pericyclemenum 'Harlequin' and Lonicera serotina 'Florida' that are doing wonderful in mostly shade. Hope that helps you.

• glorybee
    17 years ago

This is our second year putting out a feeder for hummers.The first year we had purple morning glory vine.And on each side of the feeder we had bright pink trailing geraniums that they loved to sit on.This year I moved the feeder to the back deck cause it was so hot this year.And we again have purple morning glories,four o clocks in every color,moonvine,martin gourd vine,Mixed zinnias,sunflowers.
    But the only thing I have actually seen them feed on this year besides the feeder are the purple petunias trailing out of the baskets on each side of the feeder.They seem to like a place to perch which last year I remembered the geraniums so I did petunias this year.They sit on a nearby fence also.I plan on next year adding a mister which I understand they like to bathe in.I havent researched where to buy one yet though.Next year I am adding more vines like trumpet vine out in the yard up a pole.And will still do flower baskets.They check out EVERYBODY and EVERYTHING!
    Only a few feet from your face if your wearing red too.They checked out the rabbit cage a few feet away and nothing phases them except wasps.I changed from the red mix you buy for the feeder and started making my own with just sugar and water too cause I heard it gives them mouth sores.
    Heidi

• donnas_gw
    17 years ago

Speaking of trumpet vines....where do you purchase these? Any nursery or do you have to order them through a seed catalog? I have a telephone pole at the end of my yard and I'd love to plant one and have it climb the pole. I've seen one where almost the entire pole is covered with this vine and it is so pretty.

• donnas_gw
    17 years ago

I have a butterfly suncatcher in my picture window and it has some red in it. I've had a few birds fly up to it and also fly into my window. Maybe I should move it until they are gone.

• kristin_williams
    17 years ago

I have seen trumpet vines in nurseries. I think I even saw one this year at either Lowe's or Home Depot--I forget which. They're also commonly available by mail order.

My hummingbirds love them, and I've read that they provide very large amounts of nectar. Mine is the variety called "flava," and it has pale orange flowers instead of the orangey red that is usual. The hummers enjoy them, pale orange notwithstanding, but I'd still recommend the "normal" colored ones.

• donnas_gw
    17 years ago

Thanks kristin....do these trumpet vines grow fast or need any special care? It's probably too late now(?) to find one but if I did would it be too late to plant it?

• kristin_williams
    17 years ago

I don't think it would be too late to plant one. You may not have any luck finding one in a local nursery, but you could certainly order one on-line, or from a mail order catalogue.

As for their care, they are tough as nails. Anyone who has grown one, though, will warn you that it is a rampant spreader that will sprout everywhere and devour everything in its path. I think it will flower best in full sun, but mine blooms in a site that gets no more than about 6 hours of sun. I think it would flower more abundantly if it got more.

Another thing about it is that it can take many years before blooming for the first time. Mine grew beautifully for 6 or 7 years before I saw my first blossom! This is discouraging to many people, but once it gets going, it can be just covered in blooms for several weeks. Before I began putting up feeders, this was the plant that drew the hummers in.

In summary, I highly recommend it, but be prepared to wait for blooms, and make sure you place it in a sunny spot where it will not make itself a nuisance with its aggressive growth. I promise you, the hummers will love it!

I forget where I got mine. Try the Nature Hills link below. I noticed that Gurney's also sells them. They are also widely available from many sources.

Here is a link that might be useful: Nature Hills--I've never ordered from them, but they're probably a good company

• rthummer
    17 years ago

If you are still wanting a trumpet vine. This is the time to buy one! I live in Ga. so I cannot say about your location. I went to park's seed and they say you can plant trumpet vines fall and spring. I know it isn't fall yet, but it is cooler. I found yesterday at Lowe's 2 trumpet vines that were normally $27.00 for $10.00 clearance. They were root bound but were in great shape. All green not dry. If they had more I would have bought them but they were the last two. I planted them around my gazebo. I think it will look nice next year and my little hummers will love it. YUM YUM!:) The vines that I bought were not the usual small vines but were well established vines (very large) about 21/2 feet high, maybe 3. Lots of growth and some flowers on them. Might want to check out lowe's and other places as you might find a deal. Ellen

• dulcie2003
    17 years ago

A Clytostoma callistegoides (Painted trumpet vine) will grow in sun or shade. It's fast growing to 15 to 25 ft. long. They are also called Lavender or Violet trumpet vines but I found nurseries selling a variety of different vines under the common name Lavender Trumpet Vine. That is why I included the botanical name for you. You can google it at Monrovia Nursery and see some nice photos of it.

Sponsored
More Discussions