Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nanaboone

Yippee - added another feeder

nanaboo
11 years ago

I just added my 6th feeder this morning. More activity than usual, chasing each other in the trees. I have one window feeder and a hummer is visiting it every day - awesome to see him up close! Tropical Storm Issac may bring more rain in Baton Rouge

Comments (17)

• eric580
    11 years ago

Great job nanaboo! Hope you see alot of hummingbirds!

• nanaboo
    Original Author
    11 years ago

My g,dtrs., 5 and 7 y.o. here this morning, and we watched the hummers all morning. What fun, g.dtrs. and hummingbirds! The hummingbirds love rain and storms, so we may have more activity if Issac comes near. 86 degrees in Baton Rouge now. I am attaching a picture, not that great, but I am trying!

• nanaboo
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I took down all my feeders last night, in anticipation of Hurricane Issac. I put one back up this morning, and hummers came feed immediately. I am amazed how they hang on to a feeder during wind gusts. We are having heavy winds and rain all day today. I was able to snap some pictures from inside, but sorry I am unable to attach. I will keep trying. I have this very soaked hummer, swinging in the wind.

• eric580
    11 years ago

I was wondering how the hummers would cope with hurricane Issac. But I guess they're animals and know how to adapt to the weather.

• ditas
    11 years ago

Yipee yay here as well!!! After observing tightly for a mo.5 ~ 2 RTH babes that couln'd leave w/ all the others as they must have still been trying to gain strenght for the very strainuous flight back home ~ I've followed back their return this season! A bit late returning, due to the very long ~Heat~Wave~/drought that affected all the perennials they love ~ the cool-down of Aug finally brought them. The babes have grown ~ took back the very same posts they laid claimed too!!!

Added another *nectar cafe* (have 5 now) as I suspected a few more female RTHs could be nesting!!! Funny but Misty the name to the female babe of last season, booted out Smokey Joe from his sentry of last season ~ oh & chase they do (like jets on a dog-fight) to the Casanovas around still courting avidly!!! LOL

• nanaboo
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Sorry, I have had power outage, but everything back to normal. Wow, the hummingbirds had fun feeding, swinging on the feeders, chasing in the trees, and my g.dtrs. and I enjoyed watching from the windows during the storm. I visited my son's family in Covington, LA., about 60 miles away, and decided to bring one feeder to see if any hummers were around there. My g.dtr and I filled the feeder, hung it on a tree branch, and wow, soon there were 2 hummers fighting for the feeder (one port!) The hummers loved the Isaac Hurricane wind gusts, and I am amazed how they could hang on! Grandchildren and hummingbirds are awesome!

• ditas
    11 years ago

Thank you nanaboo for the observations on RTHB thru hurricane Isaac & the picture is pretty good enough for me!!!

Someone posted on another thread inquiring what to do about a male-bully RTHB that won't allow others (chases them away) to take sips from a feeder. Over here on the otherhand, the females seem to be the possessive guards of the *nectar cafes* I have provided & seem to be ganging-up & chase away Casanovas coming for a sip! They also tend to sit around guarding their chosen feeder! I'll see if I can post an album I put together recently.

• ditas
    11 years ago

Hi nanaboo ~ I just posted my RTHB album at another thread but here it is!

Here is a link that might be useful: RTHB under our Iowa Skies

• nanaboo
    Original Author
    11 years ago

This hummer was hanging on window feeder for dear life during eye of the storm! He made it!

• nanaboo
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Ditas, thank you for sharing your album. Are all your humners RT? Some look very pudgy and happy!

• ditas
    11 years ago

Awww to the poor li'l guy ~ tho I know they'd take a storm to a thick spider wed!!!

Only RTHB are what we get here ~ wish we get some RUFUS as well!

The li'l pudgies are babes ~ lots of down still for protection & have not developed their adult stature & colors ~ the reason they stayed behind when the rest left to grow up a bit more. Even as young as they were their sense of direction is keener than the best GPS around!!!

Thanks for viewing ~ am simply insame over them!!!

• nanaboo
    Original Author
    11 years ago

OMG - I counted at least 15 hummers today! I still have male hummers hanging around. It was a joy to watch them swarm around the feeders, 5 sharing one feeder. The first time I have this many - feeding all day until 7:30 pm. I watched 2 female hummers sharing a feeder, and they sipped for about 15 minutes at one sitting. I am amazed they can drink that much! I was able to hold a feeder in my hand, while sitting on a stool, near the feeders, and it was awesome to watch them feed up close.

• ditas
    11 years ago

Oh nanaboo ~ am so envious! The li'l guys here are quite territorial & chases away others trying take their turns at the feeders! The closest they've come to me was hovering above my head as I garden ~ don't know if they are thanking for the treats or scolding for intruding!

I had a thrill when I watched closely a Mama RTHB guiding/coaching her young to get his own sip from a port. The babe had a red speck on his neck so I assume was a young lad!

I saw on YouTube a resort in Alaska where the guests fed the Rufus hummers out of their hands (using red plastic caps to hold the syrup in hand)!

Have fun w/ them as long as they stay ~ lucky you for having a bit longer season!!! Thanks for sharing!!!

• nanaboo
    Original Author
    11 years ago

What happened today?? I had one lonely female feeding today, mostly from the window feeder. I can't believe this ~~ have all the others migrated overnight?

• nanaboo
    Original Author
    11 years ago

More hummers migrating thru Baton Rouge today. I had about 10 feeding and chasing. Mostly females and juvies, but I did see one lonely male.,

• nanaboo
    Original Author
    11 years ago

"Buddies," trying to feed from the same port (8 ports all around!) I did not have time to watch today, but the feeders all empty, so the hummers are still here feeding.

• nanaboo
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I have 3 female and 1 male hummingbird feeing and chasing today. Getting fatter!

Sponsored
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery
Average rating: 4.4 out of 5 stars233 Reviews
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery
More Discussions