Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ltcollins1949

Rockport Hummer/Bird Celebration September 17 - 20, 2009

ltcollins1949
14 years ago

Just a reminder about our hummers down here in Texas. "Inferno" is the perfect word to describe this summer of 2009 in Texas with no rain and hot, hot temperatures!

I've had around a couple dozen Ruby-throated hummers and one Buff-bellied feeding on my hummingbird feeders (I have out 24 feeders, i.e. large, medium and small ones.) and my hummer plants for a couple of weeks now. They seem to be migrating earlier this year. And I'm sure the drought is adding to seeing so many of them because all the wild nectar isn't growing this year. They have to depend on us to put feeders out if you don't have a lot of plants. Remember the solution for hummers is one part sugar to four parts water and NO RED DYE. Make sure the feeders stay clean and don't get a fungus in the water which can kill the hummers.

If you get a chance, come on down for the Rockport Hummer/Bird Celebration. If you are here, be sure to drop by and say hi since we are one of the many hummer homes.

Comments (9)

• rob_a
    14 years ago

"Inferno" it has been. I removed two dead plants today the hummers loved. Hopefully, I can keep the Salvia and Honeysuckle going for the fall migration in Sept and Oct. My Black Chinned seem to have vanished south of the border, but I still have female RTs. My sweethearts.
    I'll definitely attend the Rockport Hummer Celebration. Too close by not to.
    Rob
    San Antonio

• ltcollins1949
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Great! If you get out to the Collins House say hi! I'm not on the bus tour, but the directions for all the houses will be there at the Festival.

• ltcollins1949
    Original Author
    14 years ago

We have had lots of hummer activity so far. Hopefully the little hummers will stay around for the celebration this weekend.

• rob_a
    14 years ago

I envy you, your coastal location. It gives you the oportunity have hummer varieties we don't get here. I had hoped this year to see some of the odd varieties that sometimes come here.

• ltcollins1949
    Original Author
    14 years ago

The best time to see hummers is dawn and dusk. Tonight I was sitting in my gazebo where I have 6 feeders. About (it's hard to count) two dozen RT hummers were feeding like crazy. Then I heard it and saw it, a buff-bellied. I saw one out front about a week ago, but tonight I saw him (same one?) again! It was so cool. Now I'm looking for a Rufous. Hope you can make it to Rockport sometime.

And between Tuesday early morning and Saturday evening, we got 4" of rain! Yea! It has been wonderful.

• susanlynne48
    14 years ago

Y'all are so lucky. I just get the RTs, but that's still outstanding. I've only been HB'ing for 4 years now and started because they were frequenting my garden. I raise and release butterflies so a lot of their plants are attractive to hummers too, like salvias, lantana, passion vines, cosmos, verbena bonariensis, pentas, cypress vine, honeysuckle. I see my hummers all day long from dawn to dusk. Do they fly at night? Seems like they never rest!

Have fun at your festival and let us know how it goes.

Susan

• hummersteve
    14 years ago

It sure would be nice if someone could post some good photos of the hummer congregation going on in the festival there that most of us wont get to see.

• ltcollins1949
    Original Author
    14 years ago

This year's celebration was wonderful with attendance up an estimated 49%! And the birds cooperated this year! We had a cold front come through on Tuesday mid-morning, and most of the hummers moved out with it. A few are still hanging around, but not like they were! Thanks for those of you who support our celebration of those darling little birds!

• rob_a
    14 years ago

Sorry, I missed it. Had to work both Fri and Sat all day. Maybe next year.
    The hummer activity here at my apartment in San Antonio also has slowed with the cold front. Just one female today. She was hungry but in a hurry to leave for Mexico! I hope you still have some hummers around for a while.

Sponsored
Buckeye Restoration & Remodeling Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars7 Reviews
Central Ohio's Premier Home Remodelers Since 1996
More Discussions