Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dhigh1532

bees on Feeders?

debbie321
15 years ago

Hi I am new to this group, I am usually on the Blue Bird forum, but they sent me here.

My Mom has 2 hummer feeders I hung by her window so she could watch them while in bed as she has Osteoporosis and has to lay down a lot.

Anyway, all of the sudden she has a BUNCH of Honey Bees all over the feeders, the Hummers can not get close.

We have put the oil on there to keep off the wasps but this does not work for the Bees.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Debbie

Comments (17)

• timestocome
    15 years ago

How much sugar are you using in the water? I find I have to cut back from 1/3c sugar per cup of water to 1/4 c some weeks to keep the bees and wasps away.

• debbie321
    Original Author
    15 years ago

OH??? I am using 1 cup to 4 water, should I change that?
    We tried the vinegar and that did not work at all.
    She is getting real frustrated!

• donnalovesblue
    15 years ago

Debbie...I'm no expert, but I've been feeding hummers for many years and I've never changed the ratio of 4/1 of water and sugar. I don't know whether changing it would actually keep the bees away. You might try feeders with bee guards, though I've not had much luck with those, some may find they work.

Some seasons are worse than others...several years ago, I had a major problem with yellow jackets. This year, I do have a few wasps, but I've managed to kill most of them I see. The many hummers I have don't seem to be bothered.

Sorry I'm not much help...hope you can solve this problem so your Mom can enjoy the hummers without those annoying bees!

Donna

• debbie321
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks Donna
    I bought a Hummzinger type feeder at WBU yesterday and will put it out today.
    Give that a try.
    Of course it is raining today THANK GOD! So the bees are not a problem.
    WOW we are i such a drought and we need this rain soooo bad!!!

• greeness
    15 years ago

I'm having the same problem here, we're having very hot weather and the bees and wasps are everywhere. I don't want to risk killing honeybees, since they are disappearing ( as a populatoin, but not in my backyard, LOL) but the poor hummers are being run off by the *&^( bugs. I'm going to try thinning the mixture and see if that helps. Thanks!

• debbie321
    Original Author
    15 years ago

well the Hummzinger WORKED!!!!
    Thank you everyone!!
    I hung it up and the bees went right to it but they were unable to get to the nectar and went back to the other feeder, so we set it on the porch. They all went to it and the Hummers went to the new one!!
    Now I need a few more of those feeders!!
    THANK YOU EVERYONE!!!

• sewnmom7
    15 years ago

debbie, what is "wbu", how do i get there? i have the same problem. i only have a few hummers so i don't want anything chasing them off. thanks ahead,molly [in hot Texas,but we're havin rain right now,& i love it]

• donnalovesblue
    15 years ago

WBU...Wild Birds Unlimited, a really wonderful store for bird lovers. Unfortunately, I don't have one in my area...the closest one is 90 miles from where I live...what a bummer! Don't know where you live, but if you have a WBU store in your area, you are really going to love it!

Donna

• hummersteve
    15 years ago

I dont have a bee problem, but do have a severe WASP! problem. I may have to pick up a humzinger or two next season. But this summer having tried all the other tricks mentioned here and elsewhere , I bought three of these wasp traps and have caught and killed 100-150 wasps. Still catching em. Only had these traps about half the summer, they do work but I guess they also draw more in.

• mbuckmaster
    15 years ago

I just came back from Austria, where they tell me they are having a ridiculous yellowjacket problem this summer. You could not sit at one of their cozy outdoor cafes without several of them investigating your beverage and food (sometimes becoming part of your drink...yuck). So some establishments have taken to hanging wasp traps just like the one steve has above, with extreme success. I took to checking for these traps in a cafe before sittign down, to make sure I wouldn't be molested while I refreshed my thirst (as you often have to do over there..."when in Rome", etc.). They're great to use!

But my trick here in the good ole US of A is using the Hummzingers as well. I have lots of wasps around, but they don't visit my feeders or bother my hummers. They're just the best feeder out there, period. If you don't have a store nearby that carries them, you can find them online for a very reasonable price at Nottawa Wild Bird Supply.

Here is a link that might be useful: Nottawa

• debbie321
    Original Author
    15 years ago

well NOW I Have them ON MY feeder, I guess they left my Moms and found MINE ahhhhhhhhhh.
    Guess I have to buy a Hummzinger, about 4 I guess - I have ALOT of Hummers.
    Grrrrr

• joepyeweed
    15 years ago

Wasps are beneficial insects, I wouldn't be in such a hurry to kill all of them. Wasps are free insect control, they capture other insects to feed their young, many of them eat aphids, or parasitize hornworms and other garden pests.

I don't let wasps build nests on my house, near the doorways or windows, but other than that, I pretty much leave them alone.

• greeness
    15 years ago

Joepyeweed brings up a good point. We humans have a tendency to unbalance the balance of nature, but sometimes we have to deal with pests. I don't think using a humzinger feeder would be bad, though, as hummingbird feeders are a human provided food source. My hummers are flocking aroound red salvi. When those stop blooming, I'll put the feeders out again. Probably better for the birds to feed from flowers than sugar water anyway.

• debbie321
    Original Author
    15 years ago

mbuckmaster: thanks for the link, they have a great selection and prices too!

• mbuckmaster
    15 years ago

You're welcome, debbie--christy2828 was the one who pointed it out to me originally. I just bought two more feeders myself from them!

I agree with the beneficial wasps comments...why I use wasp- and bee-proof feeders instead of wasp traps. But I kill yellowjackets anywhere I find them. Wasp nests on the house don't survive either. Bees of any kind I never touch, even if they sting me.

• hannaflower
    15 years ago

I have had the wasp problem also. I have one of those common feeders - red with little yellow flowers around the ports. Realizing that insects are drawn to yellow and that the hummers probably don't care, I painted the flowers red with nail polish. This cut down on the wasp problem but didn't cut it out altogether. I had to be careful not to clog the port with the polish or get it inside where the birds might get flecks of it in their bills.

My problem is getting the feeder clean, especially the base of it which has so many hidden compartment. Any ideas?

• ctnchpr
    15 years ago

hannaflower, I've used uncooked rice and vinegar to get those hidden places, but I was always concerned that some rice would stay in the feeder and rot. Now, I use pea gravel, the weight and sharp edges do a good job of scouring, and it doesn't hurt if some is left. Aquarium gravel is the same thing, and can be bought in smaller quantities.

Sponsored
Buckeye Restoration & Remodeling Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars7 Reviews
Central Ohio's Premier Home Remodelers Since 1996