Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ltcollins1949

Rockport 22nd Annual HummerBird Celebration

ltcollins1949
13 years ago

I just want to remind everyone about the upcoming Rockport 22nd Annual HummerBird Celebration September 16 - 19, 2010. And if you do make it, be sure to come out to the Collins Hummer House to see lots of hummers. They have been coming in for the past couple of weeks. Hopefully, the hummers will work with our "schedule" this year rather than their "schedule" as they have been known to do sometimes. LOL!

Comments (5)

• rob_a
    13 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Hey LT. Hope I can make it this year. I'm in San Antonio. Could you tell me what species of hummers you have this year? I've had Black Chinned and Ruby Throated. That's all. I had hoped one of your coastal varieties would wander up this way.

• ltcollins1949
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Well for me out here on Copano Bay, I've had a couple of BB all summer, but now the RT are really coming in. I am going to a HB meeting, so I'll check it out and let you know.

• ltcollins1949
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Well, I missed my meeting last night. But the fall migration is under way, and most of them are heading south. We do have buff bellies that stay here year round, and we occasionally have some RT and Rufous that have been known to over winter. And last year we had a Costa spotted here last fall. Hopefully it will come back this year.

Here's a website for hummers found in central Texas.

http://www.travisaudubon.org/Birds/Hummingbirds/Hummingbirds.html

• ltcollins1949
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Since TS Hermine hit, the hummers have really been coming in. Hope you all can make it to our Hummer/Celebration here in Rockport!

• ltcollins1949
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I have been so busy filling hummingbird feeders over the past few days that I haven't been on my computer much.

OK, for more information here is an update on the HummerBird Celebration.

Well, Tuesday afternoon the RT hummers came into Rockport numbering in the thousands. They were everywhere and feeding very heavily. And then Friday morning we started getting the outer rain bands from Hurricane Karl, and it has rained and rained. I haven't checked today, but as of Saturday morning we had 3.2" of rain, and that's before it really started pouring.

As a result it has affected the number of hummers migrating through, i.e. they are moving through very fast. It is a very strange year for them it seems. However, on a high note three leucistic hummers have been sited, one of which is at a neighbor's house about a mile down the road from me. I went to see it yesterday, and it was so cool. In my 22+ years of being a hummingbird nut, it is the first time for me to see one, and I hope to get back down there today to see it again if it is still there. I reported it to the "hummingbird board people", and I think that they are going down there today to try to band it. That is if it every quits raining. It's pouring again as I type this.

I'll post a few hummingbird reports that I have received over the past couple of days.

"Hello everyone: Hope all is going well. Despite the rain reports are coming in of lots of hummers and visitors. Thank you for all the updates! Just wanted to remind you to change the feeders more frequently if they fill up with rain. The solution gets too diluted and spoils very rapidly. I will be around sometime tomorrow night with my trusty husband to pick up all the signs and sign in sheets and clipboards. If you could leave them out in front that would be great\-except if it is raining. We can come to the door to get them. Visitors we have talked to have commented on how beautiful all the Hummer Home yards are and how gracious all the homeowners are. We sure appreciate you! Thanks, Ellen"

On Sep 18, 2010, at 1:26 PM, "Linda T. Collins" wrote:

"Just thought that you all might be interested to hear about the hummers coming through Rockport this past week!"

Sent: Saturday, September 18, 2010 12:13 PM Subject: RE: We got birds! "As you all can see in the attached pictures, our student tour guides had a GREAT time talking to the tourists about the birds and gardens. Pat Sutton who was a guest presenter came out to take pics with the kids. Thank you all for letting Fulton Learning Center be on the tour again. It is such a wonderful learning opportunity for our students. We handed out informational sheets on hummingbirds and seed catalogs. We noted that most of our hummers stayed around our flowers rather than hanging out at the feeders. We also had a lot of butterflies before the rain hit."

-----Original Message----

"I can still say we are active this morning, but the peak was Wed and Thurs and tapered off yesterday. It was amazing the number of Ruby-throated hitting the feeders and flowers. In the thousand plus count. Now we are at 200 or so. Still worth seeing as most people attending have never seen more than 4 or 5 at a time.

Figures we have the birds and no people this year! D**n hurricanes...

Dennis and Patsy"

\-\-\-\- "Linda T. Collins" wrote: "My hummers came in fast Tuesday afternoon and stayed until yesterday when we got the rain and NE wind. Today, I have only a handful out back and a few more out front. My driveway is flooded as is my yard. Right now the gate is closed because the rain must have shorted it out, so no one can get in nor can we get out right now. After it lets up a little, I'll go out to see what I can do to get it open. I don't think that there will be very many birders out today. Linda"

----- Original Message -----

"Hello everyone:

We are hearing reports from all over of lots and lots of hummers. After a very slow couple of days at the beginning of this week it is sure a relief to see all of them zooming around! Let me know (email or phone) throughout the weekend if you have lots of hummers, different kinds of hummers or other birds in your yard. I will get this all posted on the white board at the high school for our visitors. Let me know if you need anything or have any problems.

We really enjoyed seeing your yards last Friday. All the yards looked so beautiful and I know that is a lot of work-not to mention keeping the feeders going. Thanks to all of you. We appreciate it! Have fun!

Ellen"

So all in all, I hope that everyone that attended the Celebration has enjoyed it even if you did get a little wet!
Sponsored
More Discussions