Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lori68_gw

Can u give a Hummer too much sugar??

lori68
15 years ago

Hi, my question is...Can u give a Hummingbird too much sugar in the mix? I have an 8oz Hummingbird feeder and i mix 6oz of sugar to about 3oz of water. Is that too much sugar for them?? They really seem to love it. I only have 3 Hummers and i have to refill it every 5 days....but i don't want to hurt 'em in any way.

Comments (59)

• lori68
    Original Author
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

thanks alot for all ur help! LUUUUV the pic!

• mbuckmaster
    15 years ago

One of my first gardening blunders was along these same lines..."if some is good, more is better!" Seems logical at first thought. Well, my lawn did not appreciate the quadruple helping of Weed and Feed it received, and promptly died on me. That was many years ago, but I've followed the directions for fertilizing, cooking recipes, etc. to the T from then on! =)

That being said, I do give my hummers a little more sugar at the start of the season, not exceeding 1:3 sugar to water. But I switch to the good old 1:4 soon after, and the hummers are happy and healthy.

• phloxmom
    15 years ago

Oh no! I hope I'm not hurting my sweet little hummers! :( I have a confession~~~~
    I've been giving them a 1:3 ratio. Whenever I use the 1:4 ratio, they don't come around but as soon as I go back to the 1:3, I end up having more hummers around than I can handle.

In fact, I have so many on a daily basis, I'm going to have to set up feeders on each side of my house and maybe in the front yard. I must have counted about 15 flying around at the same time every single day!

• rita_h
    15 years ago

You're fine. Both the 1:3 and 1:4 ratios are within the range of naturally occurring concentrations in flowering plants. Here's some data from the Lousiana Ornithological Society Newsletter, March 2003, written by Dennis Demcheck. The 3rd number is the average percentage. The higher percentage may be preferred by birds but the number of total visits to a feeder may be higher with the lower percentage.

Sugar concentrations for selected plants, May 2001-November 2002
    Plant Minimum % sugar Maximum. % sugar Average % sugar Number of Samples
    Forsythia Sage: Salvia madrensis 28.2 33.6 *31.4 16
    Anise Salvia: Salvia guaranitica 20.0 33.5 29.0 23
    Remsens Sage: Salvia guaranitica hybrid 22.8 35.8 *29.1 24
    Orange Mountain Sage: Salvia regla 26.6 >35 *32.0 11
    Mexican Bush Sage: Salvia leucantha 27.2 >32 *31.2 10
    Mexican Bush Sage, "Waverly" Salvia leucantha 26.6 29.0 27.7 4
    Belize Sage: Salvia miniata 21.8 >32 *27.1 7
    Lady in Red Salvia: Salvia coccinea 30.4 38.7 33.2 3
    Red Hot Sally Salvia: Salvia splendens 16.5 18.9 17.6 4
    Van Houttii Salvia: Salvia splendens 18.6 28.6 22.3 16
    Winter-blooming Shrimp plant: Justicia sp. 23.0 >32 *27.3 9
    Summer-blooming Shrimp plant: Justicia brandegeana 23.5 >35 *29.7 11
    Trumpet vine: Campsis radicans 27.8 34.3 *31.2 10
    Giant Turks Cap: Malvaviscus pendulaflora 17.0 24.6 20.5 14
    SultanÂs Turban: Malvaviscus drummondii 16.0 >32 *22.2 7
    Chinese Lantern, Orange variety: Abutilon pictum 14.9 26.0 21.7 23
    Chinese Lantern, Pink variety: Abutilon pictum 19.5 40.1 *29.4 6
    Cigar Plant: Cuphea ignea "David Verity" 24.6 28.0 26.8 6
    Mexican Cigar: Cuphea micropetala 27.1 29.6 28.1 6
    Yellow Justicia: Justicia aurea 22.3 25.8 24.5 3
    Firespike: Odontonema stricta 15.6 21.0 19.2 10
    Coral honeysuckle: Lonicera sempervirens 18.5 24.0 20.6 13
    Firecracker vine: Manettia cordifolia 13.1 29.4 21.7 8
    Firebush: Hamelia patens 20.2 22.4 21.3 4
    LionÂs ear: Leonotus leonurus 15.3 19.2 16.9 3
    Crybaby tree: Erythrina bidwillii 18.2 22.5 20.2 3

Note: * indicates that Greater Than (>) values were used in computing the average.
    > 32% was averaged as 32%; >35% was averaged as 35%

• ctnchpr
    15 years ago

Great info rita, thanks for posting it!! Now I see why they like the Lady in Red so much.

• hrplyler
    15 years ago

Okay, I agree with the others 1:4 is the appropriate, but I admit I often add a little extra...full, not level cups of sugar. If they're still around, then I doubt any harm has come to them, simply adjust your recipe and enjoy the birds.

I also wanted to write about the picture of the three birds feeding at one time...amazing!!!! I have only four birds and they fight like cats and dogs at the feeder.

• phloxmom
    15 years ago

Whew! Thanks rita! That was reassuring!

• twinkie1cat
    15 years ago

I put in a little extra sugar last week when I got the 20 instead of my usual 3 after Hurricane Gustav. I knew they had not been able to eat during the hurricane because even before the feeder flew across the yard the wind was blowing too hard for them to stay hovering. They probably got a few mosquitoes but that is it. No nectar. Plus, they probably came up from the swamp which is somewhere in this parish (county) but a few miles away. It was still thin enough to dissolve and not be syrupy. I just felt that a little extra help was a good idea since an awful lot of flowers got blown away. It is no where near winter yet here, probably won't freeze until December or January and not at all if you are in New Orleans, which is only 60 miles.

• hummersteve
    15 years ago

Going along with the too much sugar idea. I have had a bad wasp problem and so I bought 3 plastic wasp traps and I make the ratio 1-1 and add chunks of overripe fruit to that. Well all summer I didnt have a problem, caught a couple hundred wasps. But since migration was heavy under way I caught some hummers able to get into the traps thru small vent holes , remember not intentionally. They would stick their beaks thru these tiny holes.

• vickilovesboxers
    15 years ago

Hi everyone- I am new to this forum but I have had the exact same question about sugar formulas.
    I am sure many of you are familiar with Sheri Williamson who wrote "Attracting and feeding hummingbirds" a few years ago.
    I went to her website and I asked her that very question via email. Following I will quote her answer and a link to a site with research that has been done on nectar content of flowers. You may all be surprised to know that most hummingbird favored flowers contain more nectar than any of us thought.

Quote from Sheri
    "Some hummingbird experts do (or did) insist on a feeder solution no stronger than 4:1, but I've never been a member of that camp. On page 40 of Attracting and Feeding you'll find that I recommend a solution of three to five parts water to one part sugar - a pretty wide range. Hummingbird-pollinated flowers produce nectar that ranges in sugar content from as weak as 10:1 to as strong as 1:1.
    Both of the extremes are rare, and the average sugar content is close to 3:1.
    Studies of the birds' physiology suggest that solutions stronger than 3:1 may not provide sufficient water in extremely hot, dry conditions and that solutions
    weaker than 4:1 may not provide enough sugar for the birds to maintain their body weight when the weather is cold (stronger solutions also freeze at lower temperatures, which is very useful for people lucky enough to host hummingbirds year round). A 5:1 solution can be useful in discouraging bees or helping the
    birds through extreme heat and drought.

When I wrote Attracting and Feeding eight years ago, I was deliberately
    conservative in my recommendations to avoid upsetting a handful of my colleagues
    in the hummingbird community who were adamantly opposed to solutions stronger
    than 4:1. Since then most of them have changed their minds, thanks in large part
    to the article that begins on page 7 of this issue of the Louisiana
    Ornithological Society News:

http://losbird.org/news/0326_201_news.pdf

I now feed 3:1 most of the year, except during the very hot, dry days of late
    spring and early summer, and I do think it helps the southbound migrants and
    overwintering birds. Using a slightly stronger solution may not be as important
    to your feeding strategy with all the good natural food you're providing, but it
    isn't going to do the birds any harm."
    End of quote from Sheri

http://losbird.org/news/0326_201_news.pdf --please copy and paste this link and read and copy the article for the benefit of your birds. The nectar article begins on page 7.
    Vicki

• vickilovesboxers
    15 years ago

I just noticed that Rita has referenced that article above in her comments.
    Because of Sherri's email and that article I have been feeding 3:1 all summer. For the last couple days I have been feeding 2:1 to the last remaining migrating youngsters. Even though my yard is still full of natural food they LOVE the feeders.
    I had too may birds to count all summer at my feeders here in Delaware using the 3:1 formula.
    I kept 7 feeders up all over the yard and many times I have had six feeders at a time being used.
    Several hot days when we were in drought I went back to a 4:1-- but only temporarily.
    I plan on feeding 3:1 as my usual formula next year.
    Please read the article and just use common sense. I am convinced 3:1 is very safe. That is the content of Trumpet Creeper and that was my hummingbirds favorite flower in the yard this summer.
    Vicki

• rita_h
    15 years ago

Hi, Vicki. I'm one of those lucky enough to have hummers year-round. The resident Annas' are ever-present beautiful neighbors -- they nest in the arbor-vitae around the yard. I also switch to the stronger 3:1 mix in the cooler months, about Oct to May. When night temps dip below freezing, this ratio seems to stay liquid to about 28 degrees.

(I switch back to 4:1 mix in the warmer months so the 10 lb bags of sugar last longer! Doesn't it seem like the price of sugar is rising faster than other stuff? )

• vickilovesboxers
    15 years ago

Yes, Rita the price of sugar does seems to be rising FAST--especially when I change my feeders almost daily!
    I think I may have seen my last hummers of the season though.
    I had two young migrating birds here through Oct.4 I have not seen any hummer since Saturday. I will keep my feeders up till November just in case!
    I live in southern Delaware and only have the Ruby Throat from March through October.
    Makes me sad but I guess I won't have to buy so much sugar from now till March.

• gardengirl_nancy
    15 years ago

I'm sorry but I don't understand people. I've read horror stories about what people give hummers. Can you give them too much sugar? Why take the chance? Be safe and don't cause them any harm. I've read too much sugar can DAMAGE their little KIDNEYS, I did not hear anything about this on this thread. Does anyone mention that "sugar" is not natural like flowers and giving them extra "sugar" may hurt them. Of course they are going to want it. Just like kids, they will eat all the extra sugar they can if you give it too them. Too much is bad for them. People are concerned about eating healthy, why not make sure the hummers are too. I personally will only do the 1 to 4 ratio because I do not want to harm them or damage their kidneys in any way shape or form. People who use red food coloring or use premixed stuff should be reading labels. Why give them anything with chemicals in it. Please people be concerned about their health, why take chances??!! Please keep their feeders clean and hang them only in the SHADE.

• vickilovesboxers
    15 years ago

Hi Nancy-
    please go to the site that I have given the web address for above and please read the article. Scientific studies have been done and cane sugar almost exactly matches what hummers get in flowers---and the sugar concentration in very many of their flowers is at least 33%. Some flowers actually have a 50% ratio of sugar. I would never use that in my feeders but rehabilitators sometimes use that formula for sick birds.

I know you are looking out for the birds but I think if you read that article it will give you peace of mind.
    I really believe that dirty feeders are a much greater danger to our hummers.
    Vicki

• carolreese
    15 years ago

stronger solutions help mama hummingbird
    Posted by carolreese z7 TN (My Page) on Tue, Apr 21, 09 at 14:44

I meet with lots of resistance on this topic, but let me stress that I have read many scientific papers on hummingbird feeding and metabolism before I began making my solution 1 part sugar to 2 parts water. I will mention the scientific studies throughout, so that you may do your own investigations.
    First of all, make it easy on yourself, you do not need to boil the water. The sugar will melt with a little extra stirring, and the solution will not be prevented from spoiling by boiling it. The first hummer to stick his tongue in it introduces microbes. Of course, the feeders should be cleaned and refilled anytime you see cloudiness, usually every few days.

If you read the studies, you will find that many of the flowers that hummingbirds prefer have nectar concentrations anywhere from thirty percent sugar to an astounding forty-three percent (jewelweed). Some of the desert salvias have even higher concentrations. Here is a link that will list a number of studies on this topic. http://www.springerlink.com/content/r12612v82625n115/

Researchers found that some of the "hummingbird flowers" that have lower sugar concentrations, are that way in order to discourage bees, which on certain floral structures are NOT good pollinators. Apparently the flower needs hummingbird business but not bees. If you average the sugar concentrations of the flowers a hummingbird visits, it runs around 31-33%.

For starters, I recommend reading a report by two scientists, Hainsworth and Wolf, biologists with Syracuse University. They studied the feeding habits of hummingbirds presented with different sugar solutions. They found that a hummingbird takes in about the same amount of calories per hour. If the solution is strong, they visit the feeder just a few times an hour. If the solution is weak, the birds visit much more often to take in the same number of calories. Here is the link. http://www.hummingbirds.net/hainsworth.html

Hummingbirds are actually insectivores, but require a lot of sugar to fuel their search, and fuel is the operative word. A hummingbird must take in an enormous amount of nectar, several times its body its body weight each day. The feeding day is a balance between energy expended for the calories gained. Thats one reason hummingbirds prefer feeders with perches. In fact, hummingbirds spend as much as 80% of the day perched, conserving their energy.

After learning this, I began making my solutions stronger, two parts water to one part sugar, or about 33%. Those who insist a solution this strong is dangerous, must be unaware of this study, or arent thinking it through. The little birds are eating the SAME AMOUNT of sugar per hour, they just dont have to work so hard to get it. I feel entirely comfortable making my sugar solutions stronger after reading that hummingbirds take in about the same amount of calories per hour regardless of the strength of the sugar solution. Weaker solutions just make the hummingbird visit the feeder more often, making it work harder, burn more fuel...and no, a thicker syrup is NOT hard for the hummers to lap up, this is another of those silly unfounded claims.

I want to make the case for a stronger solution helping out the mama hummer. She is a single mom, getting absolutely no help from the male. She alone incubates the eggs, and has only a few minutes away from them each hour to feed. Once the eggs hatch, she must struggle to keep the hatchlings fed as well, regurgitating nectar and small insects, as well as meet her own needs. A stronger solution means she has to work a little less hard.

Also realize that all hummingbirds actually need to put on weight later in the summer to bulk up for the coming migratory flight. Hummingbirds drop about 40% of their body weight during the flight south to Central America.

Speaking at a conference in Pennsylvania a few years ago, I made my case for stronger sugar solutions to an audience that apparently did not take it well.

A few days after returning home, I received a scolding email stating that my recommendations were dangerous for hummingbirds. One of the claims made in the email was that the hummingbirds might become diabetic. Apparently this person did not know about the study done by Dr. James Hargrove in Georgia that explored the reasons hummingbirds were able to take in so much sugar without becoming diabetic. You can read about it here. http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/articlerender.fcgi?artid=1325055

Another claim made in the email was that the hummingbirds would need straight water after drinking such a rich mixture and would sip from puddles that might contain pesticides or radiator fluid, poisoning the thirsty little birds. Apparently they did not know about the studies by Drs. Hiebert and Calder, among others, that discussed the problems created by too much water intake. It seems that maintaining a balance of necessary minerals and salts is difficult for a bird that must drink so much fluid throughout the feeding day. Dilute nectar results in more frequent urination which results in loss of minerals and salts, just as you would lose electrolytes if you drank excessive amounts of water. Hummingbirds have occasionally been observed (Adams and Des Lauriers) licking soil, that was later tested and found to have high levels of phosphorous, potassium and calcium. Hmm, seems like a weaker solution is more likely to have birds licking up dangerous compounds, rather than the opposite - though that claim was ludicrous from the start.

I was also scolded for using more sugar since that might cause more land to go into sugar production. This is where I realize this person did not even understand the first study I recommended she read - where Hainsworth's research showed that the hummingbird will take in the same amount, I repeat, the same amount of sugar each hour, it is just that it takes fewer visits if the sugar mixture is richer. Maybe she can't understand that means that I am not using more sugar, I am just making the hummers caloric needs easier to satisfy. Of course the amount of sugar I use in my feeders compared to the sugar in the soft drinks, candy and cookies in this country is miniscule, so that objection was laughable to start with.

Its astonishing how some people react to new information, especially information that may question long held beliefs. When I asked the person who wrote the email for references to back her claims, she quoted several "hummingbird experts", people who had written books, for example. When I pressed her for the science that supported their recommendations, there was no response. I supplied her with my references, and hoped to hear that shed learned from their research. Im still holding my breath.

• vickilovesboxers
    15 years ago

Thank you so much Carol for your info.--after much reading and a personal email from Sheri Williamson --I too began feeding a stronger sugar solution as I have stated above.
    I have a 33% solution out now for the depleted and exhausted new arrivers.
    I really wish people would do more research before they scold so loudly.
    All new research is indicating that Hummers get more than a 20% ratio in many of their favorite flowers. I have a lot of trumpet vine on my property and it is a favorite for my hummers-Trumpet vine is about a 33% ratio and that is about all my Hummers will eat (other than my feeders)when it is in bloom!

• mbuckmaster
    15 years ago

I'm a little uncertain about the ratios involved here...is 33% necessarily equal to 2:1 water to sugar? The reason I ask is that I seem to recall that solids are not dissolved in equal parts into liquids. That is to say, if you were to convert sugar to a liquid form of equal viscosity BEFORE combining it with the water, you could use equal parts. But taking a solid form of sugar--as I think I can safely assume we all do--will result in a different percentage of sugar to water ratio, I think. It's the old "weight vs. volume" issue that culinary experts struggle with.

I'm speaking in generalities and with no expert knowledge...any chemists or chefs out there who can help with this? Very interesting discussion.

• vickilovesboxers
    15 years ago

Hi mbuckmaster-
    the formula I am referring to was given to me by Sheri Williamson and it is 1 cup of sugar to 3 cups of water. According to my understanding we do not have to be worried if we are a little over or a little under. Sheri is not some much referring to ratio, as to what the everyday unscientific person(like me) would understand.
    I am only using 1 cup of sugar to 2 cups of water very temporarily for the exhausted migraters. So my solution is based on cups of water to cups of sugar and therefore not technically exact.
    I am sorry to be confusing--the best way to say it is 3:1 or 2:1 water then sugar.

I am going to repost Her email to me below

Quote from Sheri
    "Some hummingbird experts do (or did) insist on a feeder solution no stronger than 4:1, but I've never been a member of that camp. On page 40 of Attracting and Feeding you'll find that I recommend a solution of three to five parts water to one part sugar - a pretty wide range. Hummingbird-pollinated flowers produce nectar that ranges in sugar content from as weak as 10:1 to as strong as 1:1.
    Both of the extremes are rare, and the average sugar content is close to 3:1.
    Studies of the birds' physiology suggest that solutions stronger than 3:1 may not provide sufficient water in extremely hot, dry conditions and that solutions
    weaker than 4:1 may not provide enough sugar for the birds to maintain their body weight when the weather is cold (stronger solutions also freeze at lower temperatures, which is very useful for people lucky enough to host hummingbirds year round). A 5:1 solution can be useful in discouraging bees or helping the
    birds through extreme heat and drought.

When I wrote Attracting and Feeding eight years ago, I was deliberately
    conservative in my recommendations to avoid upsetting a handful of my colleagues
    in the hummingbird community who were adamantly opposed to solutions stronger
    than 4:1. Since then most of them have changed their minds, thanks in large part
    to the article that begins on page 7 of this issue of the Louisiana
    Ornithological Society News:

http://losbird.org/news/0326_201_news.pdf

I now feed 3:1 most of the year, except during the very hot, dry days of late
    spring and early summer, and I do think it helps the southbound migrants and
    overwintering birds. Using a slightly stronger solution may not be as important
    to your feeding strategy with all the good natural food you're providing, but it
    isn't going to do the birds any harm."
    End of quote from Sheri

http://losbird.org/news/0326_201_news.pdf --please copy and paste this link and read and copy the article for the benefit of your birds. The nectar article begins on page 7.

Carol above uses a 2 water 1 sugar formula for everyday-- I am really going to think about that. I really believe it does no harm to the birds since much of their natural nectar is that formula.I also believe it is very beneficial to migrating birds, and I use that formula in spring and fall. The rest of the time I use 3 water 1 sugar.

• farwest
    14 years ago

It is NOT possible to give a hummer "too much sugar". Hummers only consume the necessary calories to survive - if you give higher concentration nectar (like 2:1 vs the "standard" 4:1), all it means is that the hummers have to visit the feeder half as much, allowing more time for rest and/or eating protein (bugs) or feeding their young.

I've been feeding my hummers 2:1 (water to sugar) for years. I go thru ~700 lbs of sugar a year, so using higher concentration nectar has been a god send - fewer refills and fewer cleanings, but the hummers get all the calories they need.

That said, I still have to fill my 48 oz Perky Pet "Grand Master" model 220's every day during the summer.

• airpainter
    10 years ago

I saw on hummingbirds.net with a video on how a hummingbird drinks, they reported that a hummer will usually go for a sugar source 20 to 40 percent more than the regular recommended. It sustains there flight longer. Just reporting what the experts said. If they come back for more to your feeder, I don't think it is harming them.

• Cacadogg
    9 years ago

My yard is quite small but I have many feeders up, including two in the middle of the empty bedroom upstairs which they seem to really enjoy.
    I fill the feeders with different nectar ratios (3:1 ~ 5:1) and let the hummers decide which feeders they want to drink from.
    Unfortunately, because they seem to prefer different feeder styles or its locations as well as the different nectar sweetness, I haven't figured out what their favorite might be.

• mehitabel
    9 years ago

Thanks for a very informative post, vicki. I've been using 3:1 this fall. They don't have to come back to the feeder as often, and can spend their time hunting bugs. They need the little extra for their long trip.

• christiegreene71
    8 years ago

Hi there. I was trying to figure out the correct ratio as well. I have stuck with the 1:4 sugar/water because I had heard that the extra sugar was damaging to the birds, including giving them canker sores! After reading your posts, I am going to try a 1:3 (right after I'm done here!). My question for you is focused on the quality of the water. At my home, the water comes from a metropolitan water company and is treated, meaning it contains chemicals that I think can be harmful to all of us. I have had many dogs that came down with a variety of diseases at young ages, and while this may have nothing at all to do with the contents of the water, I finally switched to filtered water (I use filtering pitchers). I now use that water for my dogs and for me. I have been boiling the water for the hummers for years because I heard that it improves the quality of the water, not because the process makes it easier for the sugar to dissolve. What do you have to say about the contents of the water and how it relates to such tiny bodies? We all want to keep the little folks healthy and I hate to think that I could be providing any level of poison that might hurt them long term.

• elizabeth_feth
    8 years ago

I feed mine two cups water to one cup sugar is that too much because the last two years I have had almost 20 bird on my two feeders and when they get busy I fill them two or three days later. I love watching them and this has been how I feed the all the timesince I could.

• mehitabel zone 6
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Elizabeth, I give mine 2:1 or 3:1, unless it's so hot I think they might need extra water. There is a study I saw that shows they regulate the calories per hour they take in. Higher sugar means they just have to visit less often. I decided to do it that way because I want them to work a little less hard for what they get from me.

Apparently some flowers do have a 3:1 or even 2:1 ratio.

Christiegreen, boiling will kill bacteria and probably viruses (living things) but I don't think it will remove inanimate chemicals. May actually increase the concentration of them! (Think boiling down a sauce to make it thicker and saltier or more flavorful). Are you sure the filters you're using don't use chemicals?

I personally assume municipal water is safe. Don't see how they could afford the lawsuits if they weren't using the best information available now. You can't control everything. Just IMO.

• sensordev
    8 years ago

It’s nice to see the progression in this discussion to ever
    more accurate information.

I have lately been using 4 cups of sugar to produce
    8 cups of nectar and was curious about the volume relationships. The sugar has
    some air in it but not a lot. Put the sugar in a graduated 8-cup container
    first and found that it reliably takes 5 cups of water to yield 8 cups of
    nectar. Sugar solutions are complex and the dissolved sugar adds more to the
    volume than expected. A physical chemist friend offered that the sugar
    molecules behave a lot like the water they’re in. Next step was to check the
    weight percent relationship. Free-flowing granulated white sugar weighed about
    217 grams per cup, and water at room temperature is 233 grams per cup. The
    sugar content of the mix is thus a shade less than 43% by weight, or "the hard stuff" as one might humm. It certainly will not hurt the birds that, as others here
    have noted and given source references for, can sense their caloric intake and
    stop when they’ve had enough, unlike us smart humans. The picture below was cropped from the lower corner of a much larger shot and the birds are going downward rapidly. Lucky catch, they were just a streak across the viewfinder as I clicked.

• Reed Cundiff
    8 years ago

Senordev - glad to see you are experimenting as well

We have five feeders at 1 to 1 and generally have 20 to 25 hummers at one time in morning and evening when they really want energy. We would probably have over 100 at once if we had enough feeders at 4 to 1. We are right on the migration path for the four species noted above. Right now it is primarily Rufous and Black-chinned. But there are always a few Calliopes and Broad-tailed hanging about. We have had three species on a single feeder at one time with minimal jousting and jostling. I now just fill the pan half with water and stir in sugar until the pan is full. It is a very wet summer in northern New Mexico so there are many puddles/ponds and one heck of a lot of nectar filled flowers so they have lots of options. Lots of rain means more small insects, which is good for the hummers. We are full time RVers and have been down to Yucatan/Belize/Guatemala with 5th wheel. Flew to Costa Rica two years ago, 12 weeks in Guatemala and Honduras last year and 12 weeks in Ecuador and Peru this year. I think we have now seen 70 to 80 species. Got to see the Giant Hummingbird ((Patagona gigas) and the Andean Condor within an hour of each other at Crux del Condor in Colca Canyon near the town of Chivay.

• sensordev
    8 years ago

Reed, your experiment with the side by side concentrations spread was outstanding, let the birds express their preference graphically. I envy your travels and congratulate you both for having the gumption to embark on an adventure like that.

A raucous Rufous -- is there any other kind?

• Reed Cundiff
    8 years ago

We were on a bird walk at Patagonia Lake State Park in Arizona last year and Elaine photographed a Rufous apparently swimming in a small stream. It was actually hovering in a foot of water and almost fully immersed having a bath. There were perhaps 20 experienced birders on the walk and none had heard of this before. I googled it and found out that it is not an uncommon behavior, at least for Rufous. We did manage to spot the resident Trogon who has been hanging around for a lot of years.

I do not even measure carefully anymore. I fill the 1 quart sauce pan half full of warm water and dump in sugar and stir, then let set for half an hour or so for the syrup to clear. Have placed two saucers with water in them which they can use when they are thirsty and they do use them. As noted earlier, only the most recent Rufous males fight for possession. Wondered what happened to the Calliopes and realized that what we are seeing now are the females and immatures. 80% are Black-chinned (residents that head south in about a month) and migrating Rufoius. Most of the hummers we saw in Guatemala were Ruby-throats snowbirding in Central America.

We had good luck with feeders in San Miguel Allende since others put up feeders and we were inundated with Broad-billed and Violet-crowned. Got a few at Puebla to include a Bumble-bee. Nothing showed up in eight weeks in Yucatan. There are just to many flowers and not very many feeders, which is quite good for the hummers. Birding is a big eco-tourism business in Ecuador and we saw 12 species at one spot in Mindo and another 8 nearby: different ecological niches only 10 km apart.

Great viewing of the Perseids last night and at 4 this morning.

Reed and Elaine

• gaye_wunsch
    8 years ago

I live in a very rural area, 10+ miles to the closest town, in any direction. We have 50 acres of natural habitat (we are wildlife conservationists), supporting a variety of birds. Hummingbirds have become regular visitors in the spring and fall migrations, and I have been hanging feeders for several years (several 8 oz Perky Pet feeders). In the peak of migration, I was steadily refilling the 6 feeders hanging on the eaves of my 3 porches, as often as every hour. This season, I found the article about increasing the sugar:water ratio, and it has been such a huge improvement. I have 10-12 birds swarming around each of the feeders, while I'm refilling the feeders about 3 times/day. Previously, with the 4:1 water:sugar ratio, I was refilling almost constantly. I now start with 4 cups of cane sugar, and add enough water to make 8-1/2 cups of juice (this is the max. capacity of my favorite cooking pot). I add a drop or two of red food color to help me monitor the liquid level of each feeder. The new 8 oz pinched glass feeder has a wide mouth refill, it seems to be easier for the birds to empty, and doesn't require a "burping" of air before hanging it. The response has been amazing. I have read several technical articles about the ratios, and as a former science teacher, I definitely appreciated the biology experts articles that reassured me this is a good thing...and mimics nature's offerings. Simply put, a 4:1 ratio is a maintenance level--causing our migrating birds to work too hard in gathering the needed calories for extended flight. I enjoy the feeding ritual so much more, this year.

• Reed Cundiff
    8 years ago

I have read that 4:1 is the minimum that will attract hummingbirds. Wasps apparently don't find 4:1 as attractive as higher ratios. Orioles and Woodpeckers will visit feeders quite often. We were talking to some birders in Arizona and one women noted that her huge feeders were full at night and empty in the morning. They have bats that are important for fertilizing cacti that can really drink a lot of nectar/sugar water

• Robert (zone 7a, Oklahoma)
    8 years ago

My friend in Oklahoma City increased her sugar to the 3:1 ratio for the fall migration. Thought I'd give it a try and made a small batch last night with 1 cup water and 1/3 cup sugar. I want to fatten them up as well! :)

• brettostrom
    8 years ago

I call BS on all of this.

Feed your hummers with a mixture of 1-1/2 cups water to 1 cup sugar (1.5:1 ratio) AND STEAL ALL THE HUMMERS TO YOUR FEEDERS!

I have been feeding this for years, and the hummer population here has grown large, and my neighbors all wonder why the hummers won't use their 3:1 or 4:1 ratio feeders.

• Reed Cundiff
    8 years ago

They will happily drink 1:1. They need a lot of energy to head north or south. The reasons for the 4:1 is that it requires the birds to come more often and wasps are not impressed by 4:1 and lower.

• gaye_wunsch
    8 years ago

Thanks so much...That's good to know about the wasps. I continued with the approx. 2:1 mix, until the migration was totally over (mid October), and believe I had a "bumper crop" of customers. They are so much fun to watch, and it's nice to feel we can help them a bit. Our area is a little thin on available natural nectar plants. I think we are attracting a growing "customer base" each year. So, I wanted to make sure I wasn't causing any harm with a richer mix.

• Larry_IA_MO_TN_FL
    8 years ago

My wife always did the 4/1 ratio, and had about dozen birds come regularly. I decided to add a bit more sugar, about 3 and a half to 1 and the population more than doubled in no time.

• gaye_wunsch
    8 years ago

Thanks, Larry. we have started our spring gardening, and I've been watching for our hummer visitors. It's been a cold spring, so they haven't come here yet. I agree, that the richer sugar ratio caused a large increase in regular visitors!! I plan to continue the richer mix, too.

• Reed Cundiff
    6 years ago

We are at older son's place at 7600' in mountains of northern New Mexico, right on the hummingbird fall flyway. The males went through last month and the females and fledglings are headed south now. We change to 1-1 for migration. They need to store up fat and glycogen (some increase body weight by 50% or more) for migration. They pretty much go down Rio Grande flyway but some traverse several hundred miles of desert with very little to sustain themselves.

• doug3920
    6 years ago

I read year ago that sugar to water ratios of 1:4 were ideal for people as it forced hummingbirds to forage for food often - never mind the natural ratios - which favor more visits to flowers forcing more changes for pollination.

The article I read, and cannot find now, says ratios as high as 1:1 (1 cup sugar to 1 cup water) using granulated sugar and boiled water only works fine. birds can eat less often giving them more time for other pursuits. I told this to my older brother and he has been using this formula for 2 years. Reading comments here brought out the need for water over sugar in high heat places with little access to water.

Here are my questions. Given a high, 1:1, concentration of sugar in water, would that allow a longer self life, both in the fridge and in the feeder?

• deannalee1952
    5 years ago

My question is I have planted as many hummingbird flowers as I can have my feeders up have water fountain put up red silk flowers and also surveyors ribbon to bring the birds in and still they wait until my bee balm is blooming a relative in same city has no plants put up one feeder late and she gets thehummingbirds what am I doing wrong I had humming birds in pa and in fla why not nj

• Margaret Ward
    4 years ago

The correct and safest ratio of water to sugar should be 4:1. Yours is1:3 which is far too rich. This could and likely will cause damage to liver and kidneys.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    4 years ago

^^Not at all sure there is any evidence of this. Various hummingbird sources state flexibility in the sugar water ratio and a 1:2 or 1:1 ratio during winter or as migration begins is often suggested.

• HU-120962060
    3 years ago

Nobody mentioned if they use red food coloring with the mixture.

• Sherry8aNorthAL
    3 years ago

NO! Never use food coloring. Also do not use honey!. Use plain cane sugar.

All the hummingbird sites say 3 to 1 is fine. The only damage is if you let any of the concentrations mold. That can kill them.

• HU-125763050
    3 years ago

A note about sugar ratio and percent:

To say a 1:4 sugar:water mix is 20% sugar is incorrect; the sugar is in dry, granulated form and the water is (obviously) liquid.

The sugar industry expresses sugar concentration as percent sugar by weight (mass for you scientists) also known as Brix; where one Brix is equivalent to 1 gram sugar dissolved in a 100 gram sugar solution. This is the number a sugar refractometer will give you.

A cup of sugar weighs 200 grams. A cup of water weighs 237 grams.

A 1:4 sugar mix is 200 grams sugar + 948 grams water = 1148 grams total. Percent sugar by weight or Brix is: 200g / 1148g x 100 = 17% (rounded to the nearest percent). You 1:4 purists are only offering half the sugar concentration found in natural nectar preferred by Hummers! So, get over it already...

By the same method:

A 1:3 sugar mix is 200g / 911g x 100 = 22% by weight

A 1:2 sugar mix is 200g / 674g x 100 = 30% by weight

A 1:1 sugar mix is 200g / 437g x 100 = 46% by weight

Benjamin F Tucker was among the first to mass-feed hummers in the 1930s and '40s. He used laboratory glassware to make his feeders (no Perky-Pet or Droll Yankees back then). His work was described in the December 1946 Popular Mechanics article: "Hummingbird Cafeteria". The lead photo shows 22 of his 'beaker feeders' lined up on wood shelves. A quote from page 125: "If you supply artificial nectar - half water and half sugar - he'll stay long after blooming time." Sounds like a 1:1 sugar mix to me - 46 Brix - and I don't believe he poisoned a single hummer... (PM December 1946 may be found on-line - I'll let you figure that out for yourself...) - waw -

• Reed Cundiff
    3 years ago

Absolutely agree. 4:1 just means the birds come 4 times as often and have less time to hunt

• John Smith
    3 years ago

during Winter i often use 8 oz sugar to 4 oz water and they are drinking that water constantly and seem to reproducing as well...shortly i'll go to 50/50 because i like to keep those hummers wired and happy which they've been for years...a bunch of sugar addicts...tee hee

• Vanet Uvino Goyer
    last year

Ive bee wonwondering the exact same thing i did notice when using more sugar, yellowjackets swarmed the feeder

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting
More Discussions