Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dogcatlady

the perfect feeder

Ann
15 years ago

Hello,

After impatiently waiting several months, I've seen 3 hummers at my little feeder in 2 days. I'm trying not to get my hopes us, but it's hard!

I need another feeder so I can switch off, but I'm overwhelmed at how many look so difficult to clean, how many don't have perches, and now many look like I'll break them. The one I have is a Hummzinger Little Fancy. It can go in the dishwasher, I don't need a dozen little brushes to clean it, and it's plastic. Can anyone recommend any others that are user friendly (and have perches, preferably)?

Thanks,

Ann

Comments (11)

• donnalovesblue
    15 years ago

Guess everyone has their own favorite feeder/feeders... I also have 3 hummzingers and yes, they are the very easiest to clean, since the bottom pops off. My other feeders are glass and made by Perky Pet. They are several years old and I don't think they make this particular style any longer. Some have 4 perches and the others have 6 portals with a continuous perch, and my hummers love them! Several years ago, my brother ordered some tube like feeders supposedly recommended by National Geographic, but the hummers didn't like them at all! BTW, I have never had any luck with bee guards!

Try putting up several more feeders and you'll see many more hummers. Guess the perfect feeder is one that works!

Donna

• joepyeweed
    15 years ago

The perfect feeder is of course flowers :-)

The great blue lobelia is blooming now and the hummers will zip back and forth between the feeders and the flowers.

• vivid_dawn
    15 years ago

I was ready to give up for the year too, then last Saturday I saw one! Every day this week, there's been at least one. Today there were three... and fighting, since I only have one feeder up, so far.

I have several feeders of different styles, because I wasn't sure which one worked best (I'm new to this hobby). I'll put them all up either tomorrow or Monday... then I can watch and see which ones are popular. So hopefully in a week, I'll know which ones to buy more of!

This is the one I have up, that my sister bought me for my birthday. I picked it out, and she paid for it. I got it because it's large, red (so I don't have to add dye to the water), very noticeable, and it has perches at the feeding ports... though one bird today didn't bother using it. I guess it was hovering, just in case it had to flee from the other bird that kept chasing it away.

http://vivid-dawn.50megs.com/Love/yard.html

• debbie321
    15 years ago

I have natures choice feeeders and they are easy to clean, and I also have one that is a Perky Pet window feeder, I LOVE IT and so do the Hummers, they come right there and eat - inches from my face AND my camera!!
    hey love the ones with perches it seems, and all of mine have them, even the hummzinger type one.
    here are some pics for ya!

I thought I had a pic of the window one somewhere, I will find it!

• Ann
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Great Blue Lobelia---that one didn't come up on my search yet---just looked it up and it's beautiful! I just added it to my list for spring!

Vivid Dawn, I can't open your photo!

Debbie, I like that feeder--where did you get it? Do you use a bottle brush? Does the bottom come completely apart?

Thanks!

Ann

• donnalovesblue
    15 years ago

Ann...I have several of those same feeders posted by Debbie and I love them too. Yes, they are so easy to clean as the bottom pops right off. I purchased mine at Walmart. I have other feeders, as well and all have perches.

Never add red dye to nectar and don't purchase the commercial ones either. The hummers are attracted to the red feeder itself. The dye could be harmful to the hummers, and red nectar is just not necessary. It's a little more trouble to make your own, but well worth it!

Oh, and yes I have one bottle brush for my larger feeders, and I use a toothbrush for the smaller ones.

Vivid Dawn, I can't open your photo either!!!

Donna

• nobucklemyshoe
    15 years ago

The link below shows what I think is the perfect feeder - the only drawback being that it does not have a perch. Cleaning time is a matter of seconds. Dump out the old food, scrub with hot water and a brush, refill and pop it back in.

Here is a link that might be useful:

• dagenester
    15 years ago

Hi, all...
    After much study of feeders, there are some feeders that I find are, for me, PERFECT feeders! I find them at the Wild Birds Unlimited store. Check the link out. I think they're the best - contain a decent amount of food, EASY to clean, and they look nice too. It contains its own ant moat, and I use it in conjunction with Suction Window Hooks to hang feeders off my Kitchen, living room, and family room windows.

--Gene.

Here is a link that might be useful: Best Hummingbird Feeders in the whole world!

• Ann
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Found this on ebay and thought some of you would like this: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280258533612&ssPageName=MERC_VIC_RCRX_Pr2_PcY_BID_IT&refitem=280256574810&itemcount=2&refwidgetloc=closed_view_item&usedrule1=CrossSell_LogicX&refwidgettype=cross_promot_widget&_trksid=p284.m183&_trkparms=algo%3DCRX%26its%3DS%252BI%26itu%3DUCI%252BSI%26otn%3D2

I only have a few birds so I have no need for it, but if you're refilling a lot, I thought this looked awesome, for size and ease of washing (though communication with the vendor indicates parts may warp in a dishwasher)

I'm not crazy about the feeders with bottle-type storage---I really like open access to all the noooks & crannies, so I'm settled on the Wild Birds Unlimited purple feeder. I had no idea Aspects Hummzinger came in purple! This is the answer to all of my problems for now...until I have larger numbers!

Thanks all!

Ann

• hummersteve
    15 years ago

There are many easy to clean feeders with perches and first nature feeders are an example , which walmart carries. But in reference to window feeders all three in pics follow are ok to clean except you need bottle brushes. Even though the hummers will use all three the one in middle with the ant moat on top [I dont have that problem]is their fav window feeder and I think next year I will get two more and do away with the other two. You can see in the pic that the middle one has two suction cups and an extender which I also found at walmart.

{{gwi:975307}}

{{gwi:975309}}

• steve1young
    15 years ago

Thank you, everyone! This has been extremely helpful!!

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!
More Discussions