Return to the Hummingbird Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Dominate male Hummingbird

Posted by paf1968 Central Ky (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 7, 08 at 12:03

There is one male ruby throated hummingbird in my yard that evedently thinks that the feeders all belong to him. He chases all the other hummingbirds away as soon as they come near the feeders. He sits in a tree close by and waits for them to fly in and as soon as they do, he chases them off. He will fly in every so often to see if there are any others around on the back side of the feeder and if not, he returns to his lookout perch. I thought I was going to have a lot of hummingbirds at my feeder this summer but now I only have one.
Does anyone have any suggestions as what might be done. This is my first year to have feeders and don't know if this is a common thing.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Dominate male Hummingbird

Yes, it's all too common. Try adding more feeders around your yard, and, if possible, out of direct sight of each other.

o

• Posted by nkrz EC OH (My Page) on
    Thu, Aug 7, 08 at 16:48

Oh yes, it happens often. I have five different feeders, and in the beginning when they first start showing up, there is always one bully, however, when the rest start showing up, there are so many that the bully gives up. For the past two years, I have had at least 20 hummers, and they keep coming back. I love to hear them chirp at each other.

o

For 3 years I had King Tut who owned my back feeder. He would sit on my trellis guarding "his" feeder from dawn to dusk. Even in nasty storms. Sadly he did not return this year. This year I have only seen 1 male at a time and he is very passive. Got some beautiful babies. I added 2 feeders
in my front yard because of King Tut. He did his best to guard them all, but since he couldn't see them from his trellis, the others had time to drink up before he might catch them. I have several hummers, but I really miss his antics.

o

Pretty common, feisty little devil, isn't he?

o

I have one that is doing the same thing at my house. There was just him at first then another and now another one. He is geting tired of triying to defend against them and there is some sharing going on but only on a limited basis.
I was hoping that it would get better with time. Maybe it will. I have added another feeder and lots of plants but he does a pretty good job of patroling the yard.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hummingbird Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here