Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
yardandgarden

To Feed Or Not To Feed?

yardandgarden
15 years ago

We've lived in the same place for about 12 years and have been feeding hummingbirds the majority of that time. The numbers have increased, especially in the past couple of years, to the point that I'm going through about 2 to 3 quarts of nectar per day divided among 4 feeders. I think this is great and have made the commitment to the "bottomless feeder" concept...they can drink all they want, I'll just make more. But, here's my concern. It looks like we might be moving and I'm concerned about the timing. If it's after the end of this season. but before they return next year I'm wondering how they'll make out if the new owner chooses not to feed them. Will they just move on? If I'm still here in the spring, I'll be tempted to put feeders out, but that really seems like a bad idea and my gut feeling is that as painful as it would be, I just won't feed them since I have no way to know whether or not it will be continued. I'd appreciate your thoughts...I want to do the right thing as long as I'm here and am wondering how the ones that come back next year are going to make out.

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner
More Discussions