Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
suzycentri_gw

Hummingbird Boom

suzycentri
13 years ago

We're in a new house, finished this last March. So it's our first year for everything. I've had a consistent 2 to 3 hummingbirds all year, but this last weekend we had an activity boom like I've never seen.

Suddenly, Saturday morning, we had them swarming all over the feeders. For me, a swarm is 12 or so. And their activity level was like a swarm of bees. It was incredible, especially after the steady 2-3 we've gotten all year.

Everyone seems about the same size, although I only see one noticeable male (Ruby Throated is what we have). I'm wondering if they are loading up for their migration, but isn't it a little early? I was hoping they'd stay around until September or so.

Comments (11)

• greenthumbzdude
    13 years ago

yea it could be that those extra hummers you have are migrants from way up north like Canada. Things are starting to change up there already such as length of day and temperature. I noticed myself that all of a sudden my coral honeysuckle had burst into flower. Most of the summer the honeysuckle has just a few flower clusters on it and now there are a whole bunch. My guess is that is knows that the migration is starting to take place and it is preparing nectar for those hungry migrants.

• hummersteve
    13 years ago

Migration is certainly a lot of fun as it allows to watch a gathering of frenzied hungry hummers fight over food. It also represents a bitter-sweet as you know they will soon be gone. In my area by mid sept I will be lucky to see a hummer but right now yes my yard is similar to yours in activity.

• glad2garden
    13 years ago

I'm getting some activity here too. This is the first time I've fed them, and I recently moved here, so I don't know what to expect, but I'm hoping for lost of cuties!

• mimidi6
    13 years ago

Migration is really hitting here. I am going to enjoy every hummingbird I see until the middle of October. It will be a long winter.

• rob_a
    13 years ago

I noticed this last week end I have fewer hummers. I think some of mine have headed to Mexico already. I think I read that they decide to move based on the length of the day, not how hot or cool the weather is. Anybody know?

I have very little blooming at the moment due to the August heat here. The hummers endlessly pick over what blooms they can find. So I bought some Penstemon Beardtongue Pike's Peak Purple. The hummers like it. Anyone know that plant? I'd never heard of it.

• hummersteve
    13 years ago

Yes rob

That is my understanding it seems the shortness of daylight seems to trigger their migrating urges. Still having a good bit of activity here but I think mine ends sooner than other locations. After the first week of sept Im pretty much done.

Is that the tall version of beards tongue you speak of. I had a mini version that looked great for the limited time it bloomed but not a hummer target.

• arleneb
    13 years ago

I'm in middle Tennessee, and we've seen an increase in activity this last week as well. I thought it was too early for migration . . . maybe I'm wrong. Last year it was mid-September when the big activity hit. Whatever the cause, I'm filling 5 feeders daily and a 6th one every other day right now and enjoying it!

• suzycentri
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I know many of you get LOTS of hummingbirds, so these videos are probably nothing to you, but for me...this is crazy activity!

They have been perching on an unused electric wire (that was supposed to keep the raccoons off my deck) during the day, so last weekend I ran a wire close by the feeders, directly across my sunroom windows. It's about 6 inches out from the wall. Just last night, they were lined up on it like birds on a telephone wire. That is SO cool.

Here is a link that might be useful: My hummingbird boom

• rob_a
    13 years ago

Steve, I think it's the short version. They are about a foot tall. Sadly, their blooms are finishing, and there's no new blooms coming. I have to grow them in pots and the heat soon gets them. My hummers still go to them looking for nectar.

Hummers for me are a great hobby. I buy blooming plants that I can't keep going during the summer heat, but my hummers have some blooms for a few weeks. Beats bass fishing. lol

• kimroy
    13 years ago

i am in northwestern ont canada probably about as far north as they go here and i have 7 feeders up and for the last month have been geting between 8 birds to a dozen steadily but today i had 24 sadly i only have about another 10 days and there gone. I had eight males at the feeders last night quite an enjoyable site hard to get any work done right now

• glad2garden
    13 years ago

I haven't noticed a boom here in Massachusetts. I wonder if they migrate through here. Maybe they go more through the central states?

Sponsored
More Discussions