Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lary1047

Feeding Hummers!!

lary1047
16 years ago

Hi everyone!!

We have had a pair of Hummers all summer. Now we have 3, I think it might be a baby. Can anyone tell me how to figure it out if that is possible??

Also here is the real reason we are writing. We have had good prennials throughout the summer for them, now that it is getting close to September our flowers are not as abundant. We really have not thought about getting a feeder however that might be a good solution to keep them here. They like the Black and Blue salvia which is doing well and the red one also and we do have rose of Sharon blooming too. Our Monarda is realy looking sad.

Can anyone suggest a good feeder and the formula to make the sugar solution??????

Thanks Lary & Deb

Comments (7)

• ctlady_gw
    16 years ago

Hi Lary and Deb,

Not a feeder suggestion but a monarda one: you should be able to cut it back (to a set of leaves) and have it go right through the fall. We're in the same zone (zone 5-6) in Connecticut as you are, and I'm busy cutting back (in rotation since the butterflies, at least, keep coming even as the flowers fade and I have lots of clumps in the bird and butterfly garden -- so I try to cut back a few clumps at a time); lots of new buds have already set on ones I did last week. So if your hummers have liked the monarda, try some vigorous deadheading and see if it won't rebound for you nicely in a week or two...

As for feeders, I posted a similar question a while back (looking for "Gift Recommendations" and it seemed that for the most part, people find the Hummzingers and similar (generally plastic, less expensive) ones the best. Ease of cleaning is CRITICAL no matter what type you get (I haven't bought one yet myself, so I'm just passing along the scoop I got...) Good luck!

• gardengirlz2
    16 years ago

sugar and water solution...4 parts water, one part sugar. You can make it sweeter, 3 parts water to 1 part sugar in the beginning to get the hummers used to feeding from your feeder.

• msmarion
    16 years ago

I'd put that feeder next to their favorite plant and get them used to it. A shepards hook will hold it just fine. It's something that worked for me. Have fun hummer watching.

• nhblues
    16 years ago

I love the HummZinger model feeder. Super easy to clean and my hummers love it. The sugar water formula is even etched on the inside cover. Costs about 25 bucks and is dishwasher safe.

• hummersteve
    16 years ago

Since it is late in the season, any cheap feeder will work. There is no need to put a lot of money in a feeder unless it is your perogative. My hummers will be gone by the end of august. Get a feeder that has red on it for that is what they are attracted to in the first place. Mix 1part sugar to 4parts water,,, no red coloring.

• yardenman
    16 years ago

I've been using Best 1 feeders from Audobon and been very happy with them. The bottle is glass and the bottom is plastic (in 2 parts which makes it easy to clean thoroughly) that is so far top shelf dishwasher safe. The red in the plastic has faded a little over the past few years but the hummers don't have any problems finding them.

• lisa11310
    16 years ago

Hi Larry, I am over here North of Muskegon, where are you?
    I have hummers here sometimes through late October! I always worry that they are staying too long, but they know when to go!

Sponsored
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery
Average rating: 4.4 out of 5 stars233 Reviews
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery
More Discussions