Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hummersteve

Do you still have adult males?

hummersteve
14 years ago

Luckily I still have some adult males passing thru, but not for long Im sure.

{{gwi:996378}}

Comments (21)

• eigdeh
    14 years ago

I still have a male, same one from weeks ago. Guess a benefit of only having a few hummers is that you get to know them. LOL

Still have one or two of my regular females, which is basically all the ones I have had. There is one female I have not seen in a week or two. Seen one or two strays. Not sure that any migration is being seen by me as of yet.

• rob_a
    14 years ago

I haven't seen a RT male in two weeks, just females, and one BC male comes to the feeders occasionally. I think the males here have headed to costa rica! LOL

• eigdeh
    14 years ago

I still have my usual male, plus quite a few others now!

• hummersteve
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Aug 15 and still have males , I state this as Im surprised to still have them as they are usually gone by now. So each day one comes to a feeder or flower I feel blessed.

• donnalovesblue
    14 years ago

Steve, I'm still seeing just one male (I think) though with 2 different "feeding stations" it's possible there are more. There has definitely been a decline in numbers since I posted the "population explosion" which seems strange for this time of year. Some of my visitors have probably moved on so I'm hoping some new guests will arrive. I'm wondering if south migration began a little late this year.

Donna

• monica33flowers
    14 years ago

I just saw two males battling it out over 3 feeders about an hour ago. I think I have a few more as well.

• twobasenjis
    14 years ago

I've had more males today than I have ever had in the past.

• hawkeye_wx
    14 years ago

It's nice to know others along and north of my latitude are still getting adult males. I just have one juvenile male now. My adult male and female left earlier this week.

• saskgal
    14 years ago

I had my very first male ever show up at my feeder yesterday! I had a hummer arrive on the 9 Aug, not sure if it was a female or a immature male.

Migration has started for sure, that is the only time I get them here. I put my feeder up in May and maintained it all this time, so I was pretty happy to see them arrive. Last year was the first time I put a feeder out. I am up in Southwest Saskatchewan, Canada.

• fairfieldcircle
    14 years ago

Our males left a few days ago. Now just the immatures at the feeders as far as I can tell.

After reading the comments above, I am wondering if the HBs migrate in flocks? Perhaps making up flocks in advance of storm fronts coming through?

Does anyone know of any scholarly articles on southward hummingbird migrations? It might be interesting.

Thanks.

• Tom
    14 years ago

I haven't seen one in two weeks or so. Like you, Steve, they are usually gone way before now. I still have some females around and perhaps some juvenile males, so I'm still happy.

• hummersteve
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Saw another adult male today, but the hummers are doing battle with the wasps. I have refreshed all my feeders today taking extra care in cleaning so there is no dried nectar on the outside of feeders Im reasonably sure the wasps are only getting moisture. Its been around 90 here the last few days so with the lack of rain all living things are looking for moisture. Im putting out a bowl of sugar water to draw wasps away from the feeders.

• bdriver71
    14 years ago

My males are still here. This has been my best year ever.
    All summer has been hummers everywhere. My adult males
    prefer my front feeders and I have been watching them
    closely dreading the day I don't see them. I've never had
    a year like this. Never a empty feeder. Loving it.

• hummersteve
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I viewed 2 or 3 males on my rear feeders this morning. Im guessing though that all adult males that Im seeing are different each day as they pass thru my area.

• donnalovesblue
    14 years ago

Still seeing just one male as far as I can tell. Activity at the feeders seems inconsistent. There weren't many yesterday afternoon and this morning, they are buzzing around like crazy. We're expecting a few days of much needed rain, thanks to Claudette. Maybe some of the males all of you are currently seeing, will find their way to my place soon.

Donna

• jeelli
    14 years ago

I still have an adult male- aka "bossy boy" who chases off the juvenile male. The j. male has only been around for the past 2 or 3 weeks. Poor thing- I worry that he won't have anything to eat b/c of the adult male. The adult male will let the adult female eat in peace, though.
    They're my only three right now, but they pretty much own my yard. Next year should be interesting....

• hawkeye_wx
    14 years ago

I got two new hummers at the feeder this afternoon/evening, including an adult male. The juvie male that currently owns the yard dive-bombed the new male a few times, but it did manage to return for some good drinks through the evening.

• hummersteve
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Aug 19th -- Still seeing adult males. Wasps still trying to protect my rear feeders first nature and 209 running hummers away. Wasps are not getting anything from these feeders as they not staying in one spot just seaching like they have their memory banks programed from the leaky feeder yesterday. Hummers are still getting in to feed though. I have a first nature feeder out front on a sheperds hook no wasps there.

• nanaboo
    14 years ago

I had a male feeding today at window feeder in Baton Rouge, LA. I just purchased two minature feeders today, one feeding port on each, and had fun deciding where to place them in flower pots. I did notice the male checking them out. I was surprised how smart he is . . . noticed it right away and tried it out! I am not seeing a lot of activity, but after rain yesterday, the bully male kept chasing another.

• hummersteve
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hummer season may not be so nearly over as I first thought. Over on network54 you can go back in time and view your posts daily so In checking it is not quite as I remembered. Last year my final adult male appearance was sept 15th had photos. But I broke all records for my final hummer appearance. Year before last my final hummer was sighted Oct 5th but last year my final visitor was Oct 18th. That does not mean it will go that way this year each year is different and weather will play a big part.

• hawkeye_wx
    14 years ago

Today I got my 3rd new adult male at the feeder in the last week. They are not sticking around, though... a couple drinks and they are gone.

Sponsored
More Discussions