Return to the Hummingbird Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tiny Ants invading my Feeder.....Help!!!!

Posted by corkyzok none (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 4, 11 at 13:33

Posted by corkyzok none (My Page) on Thu, Aug 4, 11 at 10:00

I am going crazy here! I do not know what to do,I am at a loss....Kept the ant moat filled....didn't work! Tried vaseline about a 1/4 of the way up the shepards hook...didn't work!I have those really tiny ants that you can barely see.I went to clean my Humzinger this morning and they were all over the sugar water,drinking it up! That was bad enough...when I took it in the laundry room at the utility sink to wash it ,I took the top off and there must have been at least 3 zillion of them underneath the lid that you can't see(on the inside).How in the heck did I get sooo many of them??? I beleive they can swim! Maybe, a wider moat would work,would do you think??HHHHEEEELLLLLPPPPPP!!! PLLLEEEAAASSSEEE!!!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tiny Ants invading my Feeder.....Help!!!!

They LOVE sugar! I spray my post with ant killer spray. This helps for awhile, I have to keep spraying it.

o

I read there is a certain thinness of fishing line that they are unable to climb on because it is too thin. Sorry I don't remember where I read it or the type of fishing line it was. Maybe you can find it by reseaching?

o

First be sure the feeder itself is not hanging close enough to an object where the ants can get on the feeder itself. Some of the hummzinger moats may not be wide enough to keep persistant ants out of it. You can make your own out of a laundry or spray cap. Heres one type that I made. Some people use a spray cap and a hot glue gun. Heres mine.

ant moat 7-2-10

Photobucket

Photobucket

o

try hanging on a piece of fishing line with a dab of vaseline on line.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hummingbird Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here