Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jomuir

hummers and goldfinches not getting along?

jomuir
12 years ago

We have always fed goldfinches thistle all year, and are new to hummingbirds. We have one hummzinger, it's about 10 feet away from the thistle feeders in the front yard.

For years, I've grown tons of red and blue sage, so we have had hummers but I'm liking the feeder in front of the window.

I saw a hummer last evening, he came out of the maple the thistle feeders are on, and flew around the goldfinches, quite aggressively. Everyone left. He came back to feed a little while later, but seemed to spook the finches. I know they can be territorial w/other hummers, but was surprised to see that. I believe it was a male rufus but could be wrong. We're in metro Detroit.

Is this common behavior? We are going to put another feeder in the backyard this weekend, I'm pretty sure it will be found, there's a lot of sage they go to back there. What a little rascal!

Comments (8)

• morz8 - Washington Coast
    12 years ago

At least once of the hummers here zings at the finches feeding all the time. For the most part, they ignore it :) But it's like it just can't help itself, has to keep messing with them even though it has no interest in thistle seed. My hummingbird feeders are on the other side of the yard from the thistle feeder, but the thistle feeder does hang from a large viburnum that hummingbirds will often perch in.

• jomuir
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks, I hoped someone else has had this experience. He's just a little rascal!

We were in northern Michigan a couple weeks ago and there were ruby throats there, I saw a bully hummer there too. He ran all the other hummers away from the feeder.

I noticed they fed right until dark there. At home I haven't seen them that late.

• hummersteve
    12 years ago

I have a finch feeder right in a rather large hummer garden and there are several hummer feeders within 10ft of the finch feeder. I have quite a few hummers and of course there is aggression amoung hummers and I have even seen them take a run at the finchs but for the most part finches go about their business. I have seen finches be on hummer feeders too but for the most part its business as usual.

• jomuir
    Original Author
    12 years ago

thanks for the replies. We are going to hang another nectar feeder in the backyard today.

• jomuir
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Well we put up the second feeder on the other side of the house, and I haven't noticed hummers fussing with the finches yet, and both nectar feeders are being used, so if we have a territorial hummer hopefully the others can escape him. He can't cover both feeders at once!

• tracey_nj6
    12 years ago

I had a hummer fly over to investigate the racket the starlings were making at the suet feeder (and boy, were they ever noisy). I've had them check out the goldfinches at the thistle feeder. Another time, a chickadee wasn't doing a darn thing, just sitting on a branch in the maple tree, minding it's business. I saw something buzzing by it, side to side, it was just weird. My eyes finally adjusted to see that it was a hummer. Just recently, the hummer went over to the suet feeder (I have a seed cake in it currently) and was torturing a chickadee, and eventually chased it away. I have lots of birds at that suet feeder lately (woodpeckers, cardinals, sparrows), but for some reason, the chickadee's seem to be targeted by my hummers!

• jomuir
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Maybe because chickadees are so mild-mannered. I love chickadees, haven't seen any since early spring when we quit feeding suet. They are such friendly little birds!

Yep, hummers seem to blow into town and take over everything don't they? Lucky for them they're so neat to watch.

• Janet Weston
    5 years ago

I live in Los Angeles and I have always had tons of hummingbirds. 2 years ago I started feeding the yellow finches and now I only have a few hummingbirds. I suspected there was something not right which is why I looked this up. I miss my hummingbirds, maybe it’s one or the other.