Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mehitabel_gw

Are they watching you fill the feeders?

mehitabel
10 years ago

Filling the feeders every day in this heat wave I think I've noticed a visitor to the newly filled feeder by the time I'm ready to put out the second.

Do you think they are watching me visit the feeder twice and know that means this is fresh stuff?

I kind of think so, because wild things have to be really smart about food, but I'd like to know what everyone thinks.

Comments (12)

• ditas
    10 years ago

I've been wondering as well ~ some don't seem to mind the interruptions they just sip the blooms around. This Lady Speedster seems to love the patch of *Hot Lips* (Turtle Heads by her cafe)!

Looking forward to thoughts!!! TIA

• mehitabel
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Ditas, yours must be very tame to you to feed nearby. Mine fly off at the slightest movement, even movement inside the house near the feeders.

However, I started feeding fairly late, so they might not be used to humans. The fact that yours are that tame gives me hope for next year.

• ditas
    10 years ago

Hi mehitabel ~ I don't think they are any tamer than your batch around ~ a couple that have laid claim to 2 particular cafes (I assume from their days of youth) are perhaps used to me dead heading blooms etc around the area.
    I have 6 feeders around & am a bloom gardener (originally just for butterflies) until several years ago when these li'l flying jewels figured this *Piece of Soil Under Iowa Skies* isn't too bad a stop to & fro!!
    My dream is to be able to offer my hand as I have seen on YouTube done in a B&B in Alaska ~ Rufous no less!!!

Let's both try!!!

• hostanista
    10 years ago

Where I live I only see the hummers from about May to mid-September so my time with them is coming to an end. They are quite used to me though. I notice that when I take the feeders down to refill (I only have 2), often they hover right around the area and as soon as they are rehung, they're back in seconds gulping voraciously!

Whether it's the feeder on the upper deck or the one by the patio on the ground floor, they are perfectly happy to feed while we're sitting right there, walking about, chatting - they don't mind all the activity at all. I will miss them but have lots of pictures and some video of them to sustain me through the long winter!

• mehitabel
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hosta, that picture is really beautiful. I love the softened colors. Belongs on a wall.

• nanaboo
    10 years ago

Yes, I agree the hummers watch and love fresh feeders. I have 4 feeders, one window feeder, and do not change all the feeders at the same time, depends which one needs fresh sugarwater. Yesterday, I took one down, and before I replaced it, a male hummer was perched on top of hook, just waiting, and he seemed to love the fresh feeder. Also, I have a water hose nearby, and spray the feeders, and up in the tree, where the male sits all day guarding HIS feeders. They love a cool water spray!

• mehitabel
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Nanaboo, I'm so glad to about your experience with hummers loving the fresh feeders. Mine still fly off at the slightest movement, even inside the house. Hopefully next year they'll be more used to us.

• nanaboo
    10 years ago

The hummers are very smart! I have one sitting all day on tree branch, watching the feeders, chasing away one or two more. The bully is male, but I also have a female (very fat) feeding. Well, this evening, before dark, I was determined to get a picture. I wore my red visor, red shirt, and stood very still nearby. He never came by. I gave up after 15 minutes, and as soon as I go inside to the kitchen window, he is there feeding!

• mehitabel
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Nana, you're right, the little devil had to be watching you, waiting for you to go away.

• mehitabel
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Nana, you're right, the little devil had to be watching you, waiting for you to go away.

• nanaboo
    10 years ago

My friend, Peter, just sent me this pic of his male RT hummer. He has a camera set up with a remote. I guess I will have to try that, so I can photograph my male hummer, sitting all day on tree branch. Of course, when I come near, he leaves his perch! You can zoom the pic to see the brilliant color.

• mboston_gw
    10 years ago

I was refilling a small feeder the other day. Took it down, walked over to the hose to rinse it out and refilled it right there. Walked over to rehang it and my husband said that before I got back to the hose to turn it off, the adult male was at the feeder. He had to have been watching me.

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 2x Best of Houzz Winner!
More Discussions