Return to the Hummingbird Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
New Favorite Hummingbird Plant

Posted by rhizo_1 7a AL (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 17, 11 at 13:55

Thought I'd start a new thread rather than piggy back on an old one. I didn't see Angelonia mentioned, so I thought I'd rave about it a little bit.

I haven't grown it before, so when my husband brought a flat home this spring, I was a little skeptical. We needed something for a blazing hot, full sun location where it probably wouldn't get a whole lot of attention and precious little watering. Oh, I shouldn't forget the red, clay soil.

This plant has far exceeded any expectations I had, performing beautifully in the hot Alabama sun without flinching once. It never requires deadheading and has been completely pest free (though we aren't plagued much anyway). The hummers flit from the backyard feeders and flowers to these front yard Angelonia all day long.

Ours are a pretty purple, but they come in every shade of pink, lavender, deep purple, and white.

Angelonia is a tender perennial, typically used AS an annual in most parts of the temperate world. Pronounced : an jel OWE nee ya. (I put that in there because dearest, funny husband totally messes up the name every time. I think he does it on purpose, lol.)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: New Favorite Hummingbird Plant

Im glad this plant works well for you but I have tried snapdragon types here and hummers ignore it here. But hummers react differently in different areas it seems.

o
populare plant

Another new plant that Ive found this season that works well for hummers is "Wendy's Wish" but is best in a pot. It also fared well in this summers heat wave. Hummers seem to like it quite well putting it in my top 5 this year.

o

• Posted by natal Louisiana 8b (My Page) on
    Thu, Aug 18, 11 at 14:42

I'm growing angelonia too this year. Haven't noticed any hummer activity on it. They do use the Cat's Whiskers and agastaches that are planted nearby.

o

I was so surporised tonite I had gone out and hung a clean feeder and soon came a couple hummers when I went into house I looked out and these hummers were flying around my naked ladies. I sure didn't know they liked them

o

My firecracker plant is my good ole stand-bye. With that said, little visitor surprised me and answered a couple of questions I had by feeding on my white crepe myrtle and the rangoon creeper.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hummingbird Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here