Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hummersteve

A PP-209 feeder problem

hummersteve
14 years ago

I had just changed the water in these feeders last night cleaned them well so I couldnt understand why wasps were all over one of the feeders. So I brought the feeder in after chasing the wasps away and not getting stung. I found that the feeder was leaking out of every port onto the lip a virtual dining pleasure for the wasps. I double checked the base filling it with water and sure enough every time the water comes pouring out of the base ports. Ive had these feeders for about 3yrs. I did replace the base on one because the perch had broken. I will now have to order another base. Im just not sure why It started leaking from all ports all of a sudden. The wasps left after bringing this feeder in and they not finding leakage on the other two feeders.

Comments (12)

• hummersteve
    Original Author
    14 years ago

After checking around I find the replacement base price has gone up I may just try and replace the flowers if I can find a fair shipping price or just replace the feeder for next season.

• hummersteve
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I found the port flower replacements at rural king but the feeder still leaks from the ports after replacing them. Looks like a replacement is in store for next season. I will hang a cheap feeder up for the remainder of this season.

• donnalovesblue
    14 years ago

Sorry you're having a problem with the 209 PP. I have one hanging along with my other "old" pps with the 4 individual perches. I do have a brand new 209 still in the box that I won't be using and I'll be glad to send that to you if you like...my pleasure!

Do you have any First Nature feeders from Walmart? I have several of those and the hummers love them. I've had leaking feeders, too and it's so darn frustrating! I don't have much of a wasp problem now, maybe one or two...swatted one of them yesterday...but I'm holding my breath concerning yellowjackets. Last year I had a terrible problem with them, but haven't laid eyes on one yet..KNOCK ON WOOD!

Donna

• eigdeh
    14 years ago

Hi Steve,

I don't see how the problem could be with the flowers. The way the feeder is designed the sugar water should never reach the flowers, it should only have a half inch or so of liquid at the bottom of the feeder. Actually it should never get deeper than the rim of the glass jar, once the liquid reaches the glass no air can get into the bottle. Thus no more liquid will come out. Check the plastic thread area to be sure there is no hairline crack.

• vickilovesboxers
    14 years ago

I just have to say that I think the extra price for the Hummzinger feeders for me has been worth it. They NEVER leak and all my Hummers have adapted to them.
    In the end they are worth the price--especially since Nottawa has such good prices. This year I did not even put the Walmart feeders out because of ant and bee problems with them.

• eigdeh
    14 years ago

Not sure Hummzinger makes a feeder big enough for Steve's birds. :c)

I have four feeders out now. The PP209(overkill for me as the levels in any of my feeders hardly drops at all), Droll Yankee LF3, PP single port feeder, and the Jewel Box window feeder. The feeder that gets the most use is the 209! What a pain that feeder would be if you let it get mold. There are nooks, crannies, channels you can't even see, etc. in that base with hardly any access holes!

• hummersteve
    Original Author
    14 years ago

donna

That is so kind of you to offer your spare 209 feeder but there isnt much time left in the hummer season here, maybe two good weeks or less before they dwindle to nothing here. I will just get by on what I have. Im not getting the throngs of birds I was getting anyway. Yes I have another 209 and a first nature hanging out back and another first nature out front besides the walmart oneport jobies. The wasps were sure mad after I removed the defective feeder, they were all over the other two large feeders trying desparately to find a leaky spot, after a while they pretty much moved elsewhere. If I happen to get a hummer invasion I can add another first nature as they like those no leakage. It just seems to me that the hummer season is really winding down here.

• echarlto
    14 years ago

Steve, it sounds like the lowest part of the bottle neck is higher than it should be. Is anything preventing the bottle from screwing fully into the base? Is there a crack or gouge in the bottle's neck that would then raise the level of the nectar in your feeder?

Ed

• hummersteve
    Original Author
    14 years ago

bottle screws fully into the base and I cannot see any kind of a crack in the thread area, but most likely there is something there that I cant see or find.

• eigdeh
    14 years ago

Has to be either a hole or crack anywhere on the glass or a cracked base. Otherwise it would be impossible for the fluid to go higher than the rim of the bottle.

Ed, how is the feedback for the ports?

• hummersteve
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Actually yes, that bottle has a chip out where it screws in but its been like that for the last two years maybe it just got worse anyway Ive trashed it, season is about over here and I will get another next season.

• echarlto
    14 years ago

Eigdeh, I only had two folks from this forum interested in trying the bee-proof flowers. I haven't heard from them, yet. On another forum, I've had two positive responses and no complaints (except this has been a slow year for hummers!)

Ed

Sponsored
Re-Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Pittsburgh's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living
More Discussions