Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jeff6456

Overly-aggressive ruby-throated male hummer

jeff6456
11 years ago

Anyone have any suggestions on how to discourage an overly-aggressive ruby-throated male hummer from constantly chasing away all other hummers from my feeders? I have 4 feeders throughout my yard. He seems to have found the "ideal spot" in my walnut tree to watch all of the feeders. I have tried spacing the feeders out even more to different locations, but to no avail. Becoming quite comical and entertaining, to say the least!

Comments (10)

• eric580
    11 years ago

I have heard that putting the feeders closer like side by side will discourage this action. Try it:)

• dreamgarden
    11 years ago

It is suggested that hummer feeders need to be at least 30ft apart to prevent one bird from hogging the others.

I also concur with what Eric580 says.

My sister has three feeders lined up side by side on the porch in front of her living room window and this seems to work.

• ctnchpr
    11 years ago

Here is a video of 7 of my feeders very close together...

Here is a link that might be useful: They get along

• hawkeye_wx
    11 years ago

There is not much you can do about the aggressive male. If you get enough hummers he will find it increasingly difficult to guard all the feeders. If you only have a handful of hummers, like me, it's probably best to keep the feeders spread out.

• Bamatufa
    11 years ago

A pellet gun and a good aim ! Just kidding! I have two feeders about 15 feet apart and seems to keep the aggresive one busy and allows others to sneak in for a drink.The timid ones seem to be risk takers if the food is good.

• catlover229
    11 years ago

Same thing here, we have a bully ruby-throated male hummie. We only had one feeder then we got 4 more when we had 5 humming birds. We also have lavender, Russian sage, red autumn sage, purple sage, lavender autumn sage, pink autumn sage and mexian sage. He thinks he owns the whole yard. He will sit in one of the trees on his perch and wait for the other hummies to fly in, then chases them away. He won't even let them anywhere in our yard except for the baby hummie. This is crazy. We thought if we bought more feeders there would be enough to go around but we did not anticipate a bully!!

• ditas
    11 years ago

Here on the contrary ~ the female RTHs seem to be ruling (here In *My Piece Of Soil Under Iowa Skies*) ~ they have taken possession of the sentries 2 males used to guard & chase them away ~ they do like tinee-tiny jets on an aerial dog-fight! How very interesting to observe! I assume must be guarding their nests!!! So *EN GARDE* you casanovas!!!

• ditas
    11 years ago

Here on the contrary ~ the female RTHs seem to be ruling (here In *My Piece Of Soil Under Iowa Skies*) ~ they have taken possession of the sentries 2 males used to guard & chase them away ~ they do like tinee-tiny jets on an aerial dog-fight! How very interesting to observe! I assume must be guarding their nests!!! So *EN GARDE* you casanovas!!!

• MidnightStorm
    10 years ago

Wow! That was an awesome video of the seven feeders lined up together! I have never seen that many hummingbirds together at once! I usually only have one hummingbird family per summer here in southern WV, even though I have tons of flowers. I have two feeders on different corners of my house where they cannot be seen by the one hummingbird at the same time. What is the secret to getting more hummers to come to my yard? Is it as simple as adding more feeders?

• mehitabel
    10 years ago

Seeing the little throats moving as they drank in the video was a real treat. Thanks.

Sponsored
More Discussions