Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
callieandkarin

Hummingbird feeding dilemma

callieandkarin
16 years ago

This summer I rented a house in the woods in upstate NY and had my first experience with hummers. I put up a feeder in July, and, as to be expected, a male hummer took "possession" of it. For the last five weeks or so, he has become a fixture for most of the day sitting in the pine tree guarding the feeder and periodically taking sips. I must say, I can't believe how attached I've gotten to him. He is fascinating to watch, and I've enjoyed reading the hummer stories on this board. In short, I'm in love. :)

Anyway, my dilemma is this. My rental expires this weekend, which means I will have to take down the feeder. Since he has been relying so heavily on it, I am concerned that he may be losing his main food source right before he needs it the most at migration! I feel almost a little selfish continuing to feed him when I know it will come to an abrupt end on Monday. Am I being oversensitive and naive to think he won't be able to quickly adjust? Any suggestions on how to make it easier for him? Thanks.

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor