Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
donnalovesblue

Population Explosion!

donnalovesblue
14 years ago

Just when I thought I was seeing fewer hummers, here they came!! I had to refill several feeders late yesterday afternoon and this morning they were pretty much empty. They are really swarming! With the feeders hanging from the eaves and the ones on the sheperd's hook in from of my kitchen window, they have discovered a shortcut through the breezeway, instead of flying around or over the house..my DH and I really enjoyed the "overhead show" late yesterday while sitting outside, grateful for an overcast sky and pleasant temps, which is rare for Aug.

I'm seeing many more females than males...is that the norm for this time of year?

Donna

Comments (9)

• hummersteve
    14 years ago

Congrats to you donna. Yes the males are the first to leave followed the females and then the juvies. But I was still seeing males today so you have some coming. Sounds like many of my birds have found your place.

• mimidi
    14 years ago

Donna enjoy the little jewels while you have them. How wonderful they are to us. Just keep the nectar made and ready to re-fill those feeders when the are emptied.

Belive me they will remember you next spring while they are migrating north and then again when they start migrating southward.

Enjoy every second you have with them.

• monica33flowers
    14 years ago

Isn't it wonderful just sitting outside and watching those little guys. I've been doing that the last few nights as well.

Right now my main population is males. Which is very odd for me since in 5 years I've only seen 2-3 males.

I'm kinda surprised though that my hummers are hitting the plants harder than the feeders.

• hummersteve
    14 years ago

Still having males here today which is a good thing for those that live south of me. The hummers are hitting feeders flowers anything with nectar and some things without nectar, but mostly feeder junkies here as it has always been.

• donnalovesblue
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Activity has decreased somewhat this morning and I'm wondering if some have moved on or just typical for early am as opposed to late afternoons. We had take-out for dinner so I could spend time outside watching them, and not in the kitchen!! LOL! Don't think I can pull that off again tonight! Am I obsessed or what!!???

BTW, I have a sweet little female who spends all her time at one particular feeder in front of the kitchen window..she drinks for a long time, then remains perched and dares any other to share HER feeder. She is so cute! She has a small dot under her throat..is she an adult or juvie?

Yes, these little jewels provide us so much pleasure and I'm enjoying every minute of it!

• hummersteve
    14 years ago

Im guessing the hummer is a juvie and the "she' just might be a he. Of course without actually seeing the bird it would be hard to say for sure. This is certainly a good time for hummer watching and it is interesting what is going on in different areas of the country. I am still seeing adult males as of today.

• donnalovesblue
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks Steve...wish I had a camera worthy of taking pics of my hummers, and my other birdy friends as well. I did tell DH I wanted a new camera for this purpose...then someone will have to give me instructions on how to post them! I'm very much technically impaired!

Anyway, I plan to park myself on the breezeway shortly to watch the activity and hopefully count the males. This morning, I saw only one male. The sweet little female (or male!) sure preens alot. Guess she's staying busy on guard duty as she never seems to leave the feeder.

• hawkeye_wx
    14 years ago

My hummer population has reached a new high the last two days. I'm having a bit of trouble distinguishing between a few of the juvies, but today I had either 5 or 6 hummers. Of course, that's nothing for some of you, but for me it was a real treat. I get excited whenever I see a new arrival. There has been a significant increase in hummer chases.

• hawkeye_wx
    14 years ago

I had a slight drop off in activity the last couple days, but 3 or 4 new hummers flew into town today, including an adult male. In total today I counted either 7 or 8 different hummers. The total number of visits nearly doubled from the previous peak a few days ago. The only thing I still have not seen is two hummers peacefully drinking at the feeder together. I thought it was going to happen a couple times today, but each meeting resulted in a chase or fight.