Return to the Hummingbird Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Downy Woodpeckers on feeder

Posted by hosta_house IL 6 (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 8, 10 at 15:31

I have record numbers of Hummingbirds this year, but in the past few years I have been adding plants like: Indian Pink, Monarda, Phlox, Columbine, etc. This spring I put in a Cottage Garden walk and added: Crocosmia, Cardinal Flower, Penstemon, Hollyhocks, Zinnia, Cannas, etc. and I have to say I think they enjoy the Zinnias the most, anyway I always put up a large feeder outside my Living Room window and a small feeder outside my Kitchen window on the awning and found myself filling the small feeder 2 or 3 times a day and discovered that I have a pair of Downy Woodpeckers feeding on it, I didn't know they did this. The Hummingbirds are still territorial and fan out their tail feathers and several buzz in and out but the Woodpeckers act as though they are unconcerned. Below is a shot of the female.

Downy Woodpecker on Hummingbird feeder
Downy Woodpecker on Hummingbird feeder

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Downy Woodpeckers on feeder

Great pics!! I took a stroll thru your yard pics - absolutely beautiful!! You've been busy. Love the Wave petunia/Creeping Jenny combo; the Elephant ears w/red petunias?; the Caladiums/ferns; and the Cottage walk. I've always wanted a path like that here in the woods, but the Copperheads won't let me. What variety is the Canna?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hummingbird Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here