Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
proudmamato4

hummingbird fighting

proudmamato4
12 years ago

Hi, everyone. My name is Nancy, and I've been on Gardenweb for years. First in the Kitchen and Appliances forums, then in primarily the Cooking forum. Dropped out for a while, lurked, real life got in the way...

Anyway, I've developed a strong interest in hummingbirds. I have a tubal feeder with the four flowers and yellow center, and I have the Droll Yankees one that is shaped like a saucer. Recently bought the 2nd b/c we've noticed at least five hummingbirds in the past month. No doubt fledglings, some of them.

A few hours ago, I was sitting out watching two of them fighting. We've seen plenty of fights, but this once seemed particularly intense. It had lasted about 3 minutes, so finally I took my phone out to videotape, and video'd over a minute. Finally stopped, but the fight was still going on. They were fighting over the former feeder. So I changed the nectar in the latter feeder, thinking maybe the nectar was bad.

My question is, is it normal for a fight to go on this long, especially when there is an alternate source of food? Is there something I should possibly change in my setup? Both feeders are about 18 feet apart.

Thanks for any input.

Nancy

Comments (4)

Sponsored
More Discussions