Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
myoneandonly_gw

Amusing HB observation

myoneandonly
16 years ago

Our front door is mostly glass and you can see into the great room and through to the back patio from the front porch. We keep the HB feeder on a side porch that cannot be seen easily from the great room. One day after a hard rain, a hummingbird came up onto the front porch and looked in the front door. I told my DH it was because the rain diluted the sugar water and he wanted us to change it. So we did, and no more sightings at the front door. The next time it rained, there was the hummingbird at the front door, so we changed the feeder water. This is probably purely coincidental HB behavior, but he now has us trained to change out the sugar water immediately following a hard rain. Smart little HB.

Comments (11)

• sqlguy
    16 years ago

Was it a heavy rain? Perhaps he was just seeking shelter under your porch.

• rjinga
    16 years ago

I like your observation better myoneandonly!!! sorry sqlguy...that's just to practical ;)

I see my hummers studying the cats lounging under their feeders and they seem to be VERY perceptive about everything going on around them...why not that they can tell you that they are not digging the feeder content, especially if YOU listen to them...sounds like basic communication to me.

• rembetika
    16 years ago

i've often wondered this too.. if the hummers can make the connection that we, the two-legged giants, are responsible for supplying them with nectar in the feeders. If it's possible they can, then it seems perfectly logical that the next step would be them begging or 'asking' you to change it if it's empty, etc. I'm sure many people on here have experiences that could attest to this!

• rita_h
    16 years ago

I get this feeling too, in the winter when the sugar water freeezes overnight. In the morning, the hummers CHIT CHIT CHIT at the window on the patio to get my attention so I can thaw or put out fresh syrup...

• yardenman
    16 years ago

I thought it was just my imagination that the feeders seemed to fill a bit after a rain. Then I thought maybe it was changes in barometric pressure. Do feeders really get filled (and diluted) by rainfall?

If they do, can I make little covers for them to keep the rain out that won't bother the hummers?

• buford
    16 years ago

We sometimes feed worms when we have blue birds nesting with chicks. They would sit out on the deck rail and chatter at us in the AM until we went out and filled up the feeder.

• myoneandonly
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I'm glad others in this forum believe it's possible the hummers may "understand" that we two-legged giants, as rembetika called us, are putting out that delicious sugar syrup. It seems more romantic and it makes me happy. Yardenman, we have one of those flat flying saucer feeders on the deck which is not covered. We had 2.5" of rain, and it did indeed cause the feeder to fill to the very top. I think your idea of a cover for your hummingbird feeders might just work.

I am posting separately about our hummingbird rescue today. Please give me your advice

• zebz
    16 years ago

I use the clear plastic domes that are used to cover bird seed feeders.

zee

• hummersteve
    16 years ago

IM not sure that they can make the relation to humans and their food source , but Im sure they can feel instinctive that the one that supplies those feeders mean them no harm. Heres one incident I had a couple of years ago. At that time I had only one window feeder and I had been gone and there had been a storm and when I got home the feeder had been broken and on the ground and I dont know if that was weather related or the hummers crashed into it. I did not replace the feeder for a day or two, but the suction cup and brackett that had held that feeder was still on the window and the hummers would land on that and look in the window with a seaching look like "wheres my food" so I knew at that point I had to get a new one, but the incident still made me laugh.

• roflol
    16 years ago

They also seem to be the chihuahua of the bird world.

My 6-year-old son and I were out back under the deck watching the feeder we had moved there and it was getting quite a bit of activity. Our old terrier mutt decided to park herself for a nap underneath the feeder just off to the side, and at some point the hummingbird dogfights in the air over the feeder were withheld to pay some attention to the intruder on the ground. There were three hummers hovering over my ancient dog, chirping for all they were worth, apparently telling her she was thoroughly unwelcome and they'd be kicking her scruffy butt if she'd just get up and give them a target.

Lucky for all concerned, she's deaf as a post and didn't notice them. But we sure did, and we are now addicted to hummingbirds. :-)

• yardenman
    16 years ago

Smiling about the amusing tales of hummer actions... I believe every one of them! I've seen hummers hover expectantly a few feet away while I exchanged empty feeders for filled ones, I've had hummers try to feed while I was carrying feeders (even though there were other feeders around), I've had them come and examine me a few feet away while out in the yard (away from feeders), and sometimes they will perch surprisingly near me (while I stand still) but not when (equally still) "strangers" are present.

They seem to notice the difference between me and my cats, too, though the cats never pay them any attention at all (both the cats and the hummers have learned they can't be caught).

They are such wonderful little creatures. I wonder if there is any creature in the world with such "positive ratings" and so few "negatives"! Who could possibly hate a hummingbird?

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!
More Discussions