Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
meanandpinchy

Hyper-aggressive young male

MeanandPinchy
12 years ago

I turned the back yard into a butterfly/hummingbird garden, and knowing quite well how territorial the birds are, I planted at least two of everything (separate) when I put in their plants. Initially, I had one feeder, but then we met P. Tom Hummingbird. He's a young male with just the beginning of a red throat, and that little guy never got the memo saying, "You are a very small bird". P. Tom is short for "Peeping Tom", named after his habit of hovering outside the back door, peering in at whichever of us is sitting on the back stairs to watch the activity in the garden. After I noticed P. Tom driving every other hummer--male or female--away from the feeder, I got another and put it on the other side of 6' tall cosmos plants. That worked for a couple of days, until he discovered it was there...he'd try to defend that one as well. I bought yet another feeder, and put it on the opposite side of a trumpet honeysuckle clump, not visible from either of the other two. P. Tom has now taken to sitting on a power line that crosses the back yard, where he can see everything, and he'll chase away every other hummingbird. Also a few Monarch butterflies. I've even tried going outside to scare him every time I see him up there. If he flies away, it's 10' to a tree branch, where he sits and looks at me. He's fearless; he's hovered 3' from my face when I'm out there, deadheading flowers, and it's almost as if he's demanding to know how I dare enter his territory. While I must admire his intestinal fortitude, and I like the little guy, I really had the idea of hummingbird*S* in the garden. I know that if I had more birds, he couldn't chase them all, but how can I attract more when he keeps chasing them away before they have time to figure out that my back yard has a pretty good menu?

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting
More Discussions