Return to the Hummingbird Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Did I see that hummingbird do that???

Posted by donnas 7 (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 2, 11 at 17:35

Just awhile ago, there was a Ruby Throated hummer at my feeder, and his beak kept extending out and going back to it's original size!!! Reminded me of Pinochio (sp). The first time I saw it, I had to question myself was I really seeing that. Then, he came back again and I saw him do it again. I've been feeding hummers for many years now, and I've never seen this happen. I know now that I wasn't seeing things LOL. What was he doing??

Follow-Up Postings:

o
So, they have a tongue....

Did a google search to see if hummingbirds have tongues, and they do, but, his bird wasn't drinking nectar, he was just guarding the feeder from the other hummers. Still, I was was watching wide-eyed LOL

o
RE: Did I see that hummingbird do that???

donnas

And you are sure it was not its tongue flicking out which they do often?

o

LOL....I didn't know what it was hummersteve!! It's the first time I'd ever seen a hummingbird do that. Let's just say that hummingbird had one long tongue!!! I could say more, but I don't want to sound dirty LOL

o

donnas, It was probably its tongue. BTW, I like the way you think, you're my kind of woman!!

o

Here ya go...

Photobucket

o

Thank you ctnchpr. That is exactly what I saw. I am now paying more attention to the hummers that visit my feeder. I know I have at least 3 hummingbirds. I have noticed that right after the other hummers drink the nectar, sometimes their little tongues will flick out. But it comes out and goes back in so fast, and I don't think nearly as far out as the one in this picture and the one male at my feeder. I really have to be watching closely to see their tongues. I can't believe that all these years I've been feeding them, I never saw that before.

BTW, did you build that feeder using pcv plumbing pipes? If so, did you get the little red flowers from old feeders? I would love to try making one. Thanks.

o

donna, Yes, I made the PVC feeders, but none have any flowers. I did a test first to see if the hummers would come to the pipe. I drilled some holes in a scrap piece of PVC, and painted around the holes with my wife's "Fire Engine Red" nail polish - with her permission, of course. They found it very quickly.

On the first real feeder, I used wire connectors (electricians sometimes call them "wire nuts") for the ports...

Photobucket

On this one, I used test tube stoppers...

Photobucket

And caps from Carmex Lip Balm were used on the feeder...

Here is a link that might be useful: ...in this video.

o

OMGoodness, these pvc feeders are awesome! The possibilities are endless. What kind of gluing did you use? My husband is going to make me some. I am afraid off picking out something that will cause the hummers harm.

o

Thanks, hummingbirdacre! Use regular PVC glue, and after you assemble the feeder, let it sit for a few days so the solvent vapors will escape.

o

I have been feeding hummers for close to 30 years now and had never seen the tongue until about 7 or so years ago. I thought the beak was like a straw. I wanted to try a saucer feeder, but had never seen one at the stores I went to. Had dial-up and used the old "newsgroups". Someone on there had a saucer feeder for free and I responded (New York, I believe). He responded back to send him $6 for shipping and I did. About 3 weeks after I sent the money - no feeder. He did send the feeder finally and it had clear plastic on the bottom. My patio furniture was only about 6 feet from the feeders and you could see that little string of a tongue darting all over the inside of the feeder. Also got to see a couple catch bugs with the tongue. After that, I did buy another larger capacity saucer feeder and I love both, but the racoon damaged them and I have not repaired them.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hummingbird Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here