Return to the Hummingbird Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Harmed by running out of feeder nector

Posted by riopete 8 California (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 20, 10 at 17:52

Hi,

We live in the foothills not far from Tahoe and over the past few years we have had more and more hummers stay around our house and so we continue to add more feeders for the new ones. Now we have 7 feeders and 25 or more hummingbirds, which crowd each other when they're feeding. There are times when the 4 holes in all 7 feeders are taken at the same time! They typically drink everything in 2-3 days. My question is that I'm leaving for a long vacation and the feeders will by dry for 30 days or so. Will my birds be harmed when the feeders are suddenly empty. Should I slowly wean them off by using less and less sugar until I leave?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Harmed by running out of feeder nector

I'd take the feeders down. They have other food sources.

o

I'd start by removing the feeders for an hour or so during midday, then gradually extend that period until they're up only very early and late, and then take away the evening feeding; the morning feeding is the most important, IMO.

o

Do you not have any family or friends who might drop over and change the feeders on occasion for you. Otherwise they will find food elsewhere.

o

Please DO NOT reduce the nectar in the feeder. This can lead to starvation due to the lack of sufficient amounts of sucrose which in what the nectar is and is found in flowers. If they run empty the birds are not stupid and will go to other food sources.

o

Take the some feeders down over a few days .... do NOT use less sugar ! Then when your down to one ... fill it less often ... They will get the message ... I'm doing the same thing right now I have 3 feeders and more than 50 hummers ! They are getting the message ! have a great vacation!

o

• Posted by ditas z4-5 Iowa (My Page) on
    Sun, Sep 8, 13 at 0:09

Awww I wish we could get some of your Jewels to come here ~ we'd be more that thrilled to give them board & lodging!!!

How about your neighbors or some HS kids in the neighborhood to tend to the feeders? I bet they'd be delighted to care for them!!!

Hummie feeders are a bit more complicated ~ but I used to get neighbor kids to tend to my regular wildbird feeders & they're always happy to oblige!!!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hummingbird Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here