Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chris2007

Hurt Hummingbird

chris2007
16 years ago

My family has noticed a hummingbird that cannot close its beak all the way. It cannot stick its mouth into the hummingbird feader. Should we buy an open feeder for it? Is there anything else we can do?

Comments (6)

• luvabird ,,,
    16 years ago

Hopefully it can get it's tongue at the more open flowers. I would definitely try a small shallow bowl with nectar and see if it comes to it.

Donna, VA

• socalmomo
    15 years ago

my dogs hurt a hummingbird so we are trying to nurse it to health but the wing is broken and the leg i hurt too what should i do?

• digginitup
    15 years ago

Poor thing, try contacting your local Audubon Society as they may direct you in the best way when it comes to birds in the wild. Your doing a kind thing caring for the hummer, other then nectar they do need protein as well. That is usually small bugs. Just find out what the correct diet is.

• gizmo2009
    14 years ago

my syrup was a bit warm how warm is to warm

• hummersteve
    14 years ago

Chris

I applaud your efforts to help the poor hummer. But some hummers just wont make it because of sickness disease deformities or whatever, its natures way. We as humans should not feel responsible for what happens to them, just try to help them along as they go about their normal routine. It may sound cruel but maybe nature allows for the dismissal of the sick so more healthy can take their place. On the video of the stressed hummer I put up other hummers were pecking this hummer trying to drive it away from a feeding port so others could feed, law of nature.

• gizmo2009
    14 years ago

can the nectar be to warm and would they burn themselves ?? It wasn't to warm on the wrist .One bird sipped first but one sipped second and took off in a hurry and has not been back i'm worried i hurt him. the other one has been back

Sponsored
Wannemacher Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Customized Award-Winning Interior Design Solutions in Columbus, OH
More Discussions