Return to the Hummingbird Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Globe Thistle

Posted by fritzmom 3b (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 18, 07 at 18:15

Hi Everyone

A quick question and comment: Has anyone got a purple/lilac colored Globe Thistle plant that attracts the hummers? I've got this plant and they (and the bees) just LOVE it. Or, do the birds not know that it doesn't attract them?? These same little birds are also feeding at the sunflowers that are still in bloom. Course, I don't know if they're going for nector, or maybe tiny insects on these two plants, but I'm not going to complain about 'non-attracting' plants attracting my hummers! I might also mention that these birds are not going to my orange Tiger Lilies. They're not even interested in those plants and I thought they were attracted to Tiger Lilies.
Oh well, different birds, different tastes. Have a good day all

Barb

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Globe Thistle

Yes, I do - I'm in NWCT z5 and I have echinops planted near and among my red monarda, my hummers' fave food. They sip at the echinops too -- maybe because of the proximity; go figure. There is also jewelweed right around there too, just for them. But they haven't been interested in that this year.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hummingbird Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here