Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
eigdeh

Dog Fights!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

eigdeh
14 years ago

Just sitting in my kitchen watching the hummer and all of a sudden there are 6 or 7 hummers all chasing each other at full speed. Then one comes back to eat and all of a sudden they are all chasing each other! Never had so many hummers in my yard, but none are eating. Still, it is fun!

I have seen my usual male sitting in a tree over the past few weeks watching while a female would eat. Never saw two drinking at the same time.

I have a feeling that these guys will not be sharing a feeder like I see at Steves. :c(

Ken

Comments (8)

• hummersteve
    14 years ago

Hey Ken------:)

• mimidi
    14 years ago

Enjoy them while you have them. These days pass before you know what happened

• monica33flowers
    14 years ago

I had those last weekend as well. The males still keep a vigilant watch when they are at the feeders.

Aren't they just a blast watching them and all their little antics?

• jeelli
    14 years ago

We've been noticing a lot more "Bird Battles" lately- is this normal? It's a wonder anyone can get in for a drink!!!

• tracey_nj6
    14 years ago

Glad the show keeps getting better for you Ken! I'm experiencing some fighting as well, so I'm guessing the migrators are moving on down. I'm seeing a few more females, and they're sociable, unlike my "resident" female. I was checking out the activity in my butterfly cage, and looking in thru the other side was a curious female. If there was one time to have the camera handy, that was definitely it! Of course, no camera in sight, grrrr.

• hawkeye_wx
    14 years ago

Last night confirmed what I suspected... that I have two juvies coming to my yard. They both arrived at the lady in red salvia container at the same time in the evening. They both have some markings on their throat so I think they are both males, and it was the more heavily marked hummer that chased after the other. The same thing has happened a couple times this morning. I don't think the odds are good I'll ever see two hummers use a flower or the feeder at the same time peacefully.

• eigdeh
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I am thinking that next year will be better for both of us hawkeye.

I don't have the 7 or more dog fighting as I did that one night, but I do have several still chasing eash other. They are doing such a great job of chasing each other that the sugar water levels do not drop much at all! I was away for two days this weekend and it was almost as full when I got back as it was when I left! There are hummers drinking from the feeders too. I just don't know how many hummers some folks have that they need to use a quart, or gallon, of sugar water every day or so!

Ken

• hawkeye_wx
    14 years ago

My aggressive juvie male is very active today, pretty much just hanging out in my yard and coming to the flowers and feeder every 20 minutes. The victoria blue salvia pot attracts tons of bees. At least a few times the hummer was searching the blooms and ran into a bumble bee. Each time, the hummer chased the bee around the yard, darting right, left, up, down, etc. It is pretty amusing to watch. This juvie male is clearly pretty territorial.

Sponsored
More Discussions