Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
barb_roselover_in

First time-need suggestions

barb_roselover_in
13 years ago

I have had my hummingbird feeders out all summer. I was getting ready to make new food when I noticed all kinds of activity around the feeders and upon examining them, I found that there were lots and lots of bees feeding instead of the hummers. I am getting ready to put out new food, but what can I do to keep the bees out of there. They were actually feeding out of the containers and several of them were even half in and half out. Last evening one little hummer just hovered outside my big picture window as if saying "What have you done with my food?" My petunias and zinnias are about done for and could it be they (the bees) are lacking the sources for their own food? I remember hearing that you should not discontinue feeding hummers too early as those inflight need the food. I have been thinking we are going to have an early fall, but who knows? I would appreciate any hints you could give me as this is my first time posting here (zone 5a) - Barb

Comments (4)

• glad2garden
    13 years ago

I was having the same problem with lots of wasps and big bees on one of my feeders, but no bees or wasps at all on the other two Hummzinger feeders. They are supposed to be good at keeping bees and wasps from being able to feed. From my limited experience, I would say it's true.

• eigdeh
    13 years ago

I have heard that you can move the feeders that the bees found and that the hummers will find them right away and it might take the bees days to find it. Try to move those feeders somewhere else and see what happens.

What kind of feeders are they? I would also rinse the outside of the feeders and be real careful when filling and hanging the feeders not to shake any sugar water out on the outside of the feeder.

• hummersteve
    13 years ago

I use hot soapy water and sponge for cleaning my first nature feeders, [no it does not deter hummer from using it at least not at my place] just rinse them well with cold water. Before hanging feeders I try wipe or remove any possible spilled liquid from outside the containers. I have a hummzinger excel which is supposed to be bee proof but wasps still hang out on it. Maybe its swinging in the breeze sloshes some out I just cant believe hummers are that sloppy.

Another trick you might wanna try is make one feeder extra sweet and hang it away from your good hummer feeders and hopefully your bees will find it.

• leatherneckjoe
    13 years ago

Some hummingbird feeders have feeding ports with bee guards on them to keep them away. If your particular feeder does not have that option you are really out of luck. Hummers will not feed if the bees are there.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting
More Discussions