Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cinci1994

Finally......Success of Having Hummers

cinci1994
14 years ago

I enjoy coming here and looking at everyone's pictures and hearing about their hummers. It made me feel better since my flowers and feeders weren't attracting any.

Well, I am pleased to say that last week I finally saw one. I was thrilled. The best part is that not only do I have one coming by but he/she found 3 friends to bring by. I don't think they are actually friends because they spend most of the time chasing each other around but none the less, they are spending some time in my yard.

I'm trying to get a picture or two and would love to post if I do and if I can figure out how.

Thank you all for sharing your photos and hummer stories.

Comments (7)

• penny1947
    14 years ago

cinci1994
    This has been a tough hummer season for many of us here in the northern areas. I am in western NY right outside Niagara Falls USA and it has been my worst year ever. It sounds like you are seeing juveniles now. Hopefully they will come back next spring and reside in your area for the season.

Penny

• hummersteve
    14 years ago

cincy1994

Good for you. After all the migration is going on right now so its the best time to attract hummers, right now to the end of august should be good.
    to post a photo just join photobucket and after you upload your image there place your cursor over the image and you will see 4 lines of code. Copy and paste the 'HTML " code right here in your message.

• monica33flowers
    14 years ago

Here in WI it seemed like it took forever for the hummers to arrive. We've had a very unusual cool summer and I think that had kept a lot of them more south.

I know how excited you must be. When I saw my first hummer at the feeder I was ecstatic! Even my boyfriend lets me know when they are at the feeders.

They bring so much joy to see them!

Do any of your hummers like your flowers? None of my hummers touch my flowers, which is a first for me.

• suzyqute
    14 years ago

I saw the first hummer May 1, just as the columbine were starting to bloom, and they haven't stopped coming. I have feeders up,which they enjoy quite well, but they are really hitting the monardas and the scarlet runner bean blossoms big time this year also. they seem to feed all times of the day, dawn to dark. doesn't seem to matter if the sun is shining,or its raining,they are feeding. I'm very pleased with the activity I've seen .

• monica33flowers
    14 years ago

Suzy, my hummers haven't even touch my monarda or even the black and blue salvia which is usually just as popular as the monarda. Also, I have tons of red petunias in baskets in the backyard which they haven't touched.

I will admit I put my feeders up in June so I may have missed the spring migragation.

• rob_a
    14 years ago

Congratulations Cinci! We all know your joy. It's always a big thrill to see your first hummer of the year. I assume Ont. is Ontario? If so your little friends came a long way to see you. Enjoy your hummer season.

• cinci1994
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Aren't these little guys exciting. Yes Monica they are spending a lot of time in the flowers, mostly the monarda but also my delphinium and they have started going to the hostas. I agree Suzy, they feed all day long no matter what the weather. Thanks for sharing my excitement with me, now to get the little guys to sit still for a picture though they are getting used to me being around the feeder and flowers while they are there so maybe they will smile for the camera soon. Thanks for the info about posting Steve.

Sponsored
Emily Rudolph Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars25 Reviews
Hands-On & Collaborative Columbus Interior Designer
More Discussions