Return to the Hummingbird Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Has anyone else seen this?

Posted by hosta_house IL 6 (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 2, 09 at 20:10

The Goldfinch have been drinking from the Hummzinger moat for the past couple of years now,so the #%@ sparrows think there maybe food and they are on the feeder too. I have a couple of birdbaths but I never see the Goldfinch on them, I'm afraid this may cause harm to the Hummers, any suggestions? I don't mind the Goldfinch but the Sparrows are bullys. (Pic quality not the best)

P7316591

P7316589

P8016654

P8016650

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Has anyone else seen this?

Interesting.

I haven't had our goldfinches drinking from the HB feeders, but we are having lots of woodpeckers~~downies and red-bellieds~~using them. It was interesting to watch the baby woodpeckers using the feeders and being scared off by the hummers.

I don't know if the nectar will harm the other birds feeding or not. The Hummers don't seem to be in harms way of the woodpeckers here.

o

I had the same problem with finches drinking from the ant moats. They emptied all of them in a day, with a nice lake available for them fifty yards away.

If you will add a drop or two of dawn dish wash liquid to the ant moat water, they will leave it alone.

o

HH,

That is a very unusual capture, a Hummer and a different species bird feeding at the same time. Thats a new one on me! Looks like it could be a Tufted Titmouse?

Rob,

I'm not sure if the Dawn would harm a songbird if it was drank, do you?

Pam

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hummingbird Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here